Liverpool (A) Post Match Thread.

How anyone can say Stones wasn't fouled for the second goal is beyond me. It's a clear push in the back which was more than enough to give Firmino the chance to nip in. Without that push stones deals with the situation. It wasn't not a shoulder to shoulder challenge which would have been enough.

Firmino even finished it like he was expecting a foul to be given.

Anyone questioning it go have a look at the penalty given against Sterling versus Stoke last season.

It frustrated the hell out of me, as that goal changed the whole complexion of the game.

Shame we didn't keep our heads as we could have got something.
Whether a foul or not, he was in a position to deal with the threat, and he didn,t .

IMO they shaded the game and deserved the win and fours goals were well taken even though helped by mistakes we made in the build up all of them.

It happens and on another day we might have got sometime from the game but they pressed us well and forced us into errors.

We haven't been at our best for a while but its still been good enough in the main to win us games but we came up short this time.

As Pep said its how you respond that matters nothing else.

The Victimpool clowns commenting on here about it wasn’t a foul on Stones need to then look at the ‘foul’ on Lalana that got a penalty the other week.
Hypocritical cnuts.

Anybody think Mangala would have been a better option instead of Stones yesterday? Was clumsy against Bristol but so was Stones. Mangala may have made a difference with his pace & Strength? Can't see Firmino troubling Manga for strength & pace on the second goal.

Firmino wouldn't have stood a chance had Mangala been playing. He'd have keeled over with exhaustion from excessive laughter.

Football's a contact sport. Stones was weak and got bullied, it's that simple. Kompany wouldn't have got eased off the ball that easily had that happened to him.

The Dippers deserved their result and their pressing high energy game caused the mistakes and they capitalised. But they cannot play like that every game , they will possibly put six games a season together like Sunday and usually against a top six side , but they can't do it consistently and thats why they will look outstanding very occasionally but ultimately will win nothing .We on the other hand , are consistent and play to a level that couldl beat every team in this league bar the Dippers at Klanfield in their cup final. If i was given a choice of losing the next ten games at Klanfiedl (and hence going 45 years without a win) or winning the league every year , we know the answer.
In the grand scheme of things the Dippers are an irritant and like a rash they will disappear in a few days , but we are the real deal with Pep in charge , but the whole football world is hoping and praying for us to fail , lets disappoint them.

Football's a contact sport. Stones was weak and got bullied, it's that simple. Kompany wouldn't have got eased off the ball that easily had that happened to him.
John's still finding his form after the injury. Firmino would not have got past Vinnie - Vinnie would have bullied Firmino and either won the ball or forced him to go the long way round. Vinnie, when fit, is probably physically stronger than any other Prem player.

I understand that but I think certain games suit certain players. Don't get me wrong I don't think yesterday was a game for Mangala but having watched Stones especially on the second goal i just feel it wouldn't have happened if it was Mangala? If we avoid that second goal we don't collapse.
I agree - Mangala doesn't get physically bullied.

He did when we played Wolves in the cup.
Get your point, but Mangala's pure physical strength is one of his strengths when allied to his good (if not super rapid) pace from a standing start. If he could eliminate the odd lapse - you have a pretty good centre back. The basic tools are all there - it's just a case of bringing them together game after game after game. Every slip up is magnified - courtesy of that world legend of football and punditry, Phil Neville.

Mangala knows that he can only get regular football elsewhere. There are other teams whose tactics possibly better suit Mangala, where he'll probably prove his critics wrong.

Pep's risk and reward ethos requires his centre backs and GK to be very comfortable when opposing players attempt to close them down, as it creates space elsewhere. Occasionally it will go wrong. We have to accept that.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.