Ilkay Gundogan - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
We didn't appear to hunt from the front, and those defensive errors, well, maybe the atmosphere got to the players, and the ref for that shove on Stones.
We will risk conceding goals playing the Pep way, but we never stopped, especially Gundogan. He had those scousers defo twitching at the end

We didn't appear to hunt from the front, and those defensive errors, well, maybe the atmosphere got to the players, and the ref for that shove on Stones.
We will risk conceding goals playing the Pep way, but we never stopped, especially Gundogan. He had those scousers defo twitching at the end

I think this is important. Pep would rather we lost playing the right way that won the wrong way. I don't think it's a matter of principle but a means of development towards the team he wants. I've said it before, in that as well as this year's going we're nowhere near the team Pep thinks we can be yet. Exciting times as far as I'm concerned.

I think this is important. Pep would rather we lost playing the right way that won the wrong way. I don't think it's a matter of principle but a means of development towards the team he wants. I've said it before, in that as well as this year's going we're nowhere near the team Pep thinks we can be yet. Exciting times as far as I'm concerned.
Yup. Starting with the Geordie nation on Saturday

Gundogan played well. Consistently getting the ball off the centre backs when Fernandinho wasn’t asking for it, getting us out of tight spaces all the time. Plus the fact that he got 1 well taken goal and 1 assist. Normally you could say we lost because David Silva wasn’t in the side, but we lost yesterday because Sterling, Aguero, Stones and Fernandinho had their worst games of the season in arguably the hardest fixture of the season.
Totally agree with this.

Goal, assist, good movement. Showed for the ball. Better intelligence at diffusing pressure when pressed. I frankly will play him over Dihno against Pressing teams.

I really hope it's just a confidence thing. He looks scared to get stuck in, but if he can get a run of games and get over the fear then we could see him return to the player he was - he's still young. I have come back from lengthy injuries twice and both times it was nearly a year until I felt back to myself.

That said, I thought he was poor on Sunday and way too conservative. Again, clearly a lack of confidence, not ability.

Ilkay is a fabulous footballer. The architect of the win against Barca. I love that guy.

Dinho most definitely is not press-resistant, I have seen it too many times and I think Klopp knows it too. There is a reason Pep plays Ilkay alongside Dinho against high pressing teams. Then brings David on to kill game off.

The most press-resistant player in the team this season prior to his injury has been John Stones. I really, really hope he hasn't reverted to last season's form post injury.

Patience, he'll come good. I believe he is still building his confidence and rhythm after the long layoff. Thought he was OK on Sunday and definitely not the worse on the field, but I will admit, he was frustrating me with losing possesion and misplaced passes. If you ask me, if we had started with Silva, it would have been a different outcome. But again, I thought he was OK bordering on good.

I just watched yesterdays game again and thought it was worth noting how good Ilkay played - a bit under the radar, I think he looked back to near his best, driving forward and didn't put a foot wrong.

I just watched yesterdays game again and thought it was worth noting how good Ilkay played - a bit under the radar, I think he looked back to near his best, driving forward and didn't put a foot wrong.
Thought he was excellent-first touch, passing through the lines. Backed out of several challenges again-with hindsight probably a good thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.