Alexis Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re Ornsteins BBC tweet, in a delusional world, does it we have a slight, tiny-tiny chance if neither side cant agree on a deal? Just asking..

Only if Alexis and Arsenal sacrifice a truck load of a cash. Won't happen.

Whilst I think we'd probably raise the fee to around £30m, I can't see Alexis turning down the money on offer to join City on the original terms.

The bottom line is that while not cheap signing Sanchez now is a lot cheaper than signing Griezmann in the summer for example.
The alleged difference in wages being offered is 75k a week or roughly 4m a year. If he signs a 3 Yr contract that is 12m extra in wages. Hardly a game breaker when you consider Arsenal want 35m and any potential summer striker will be 100m.

So it is definitely about not wanting to break salary cap. If Sánchez were to wait until the summer I am sure we could give him 30m signing on fee and then his 275k a week salary.
Griezmann is 26 and has some resale value at the end of any contract, Sanchez doesn’t. I’ve seen this fact posted several times in this thread over the last few days. Why aren’t you getting it? I don’t think we will sign Griezmann neither imo.
Edit - @SWP's back has posted the same. So that’s twice in a few minutes.

It can be a dangerous game taking media briefings at face value. I've had some insight into a handful of transfer deals and there can be a huge difference between what the papers report and what actually happens.
What I find hard to understand is that if we had a deal accepted by Sanchez & it was only Arsenal standing in the way of a deal, what's changed now, apart from different negotiating stances from Arsenal & City because we're 6 months further down the line & Sanchez only has 6 months left on his contract?

What could possibly have changed in the meantime between City & Sanchez? If something has changed, common sense says it must either be us offering less favourable terms than last summer, or Sanchez wanting more favourable terms...

Only if Alexis and Arsenal sacrifice a truck load of a cash. Won't happen.

Whilst I think we'd probably raise the fee to around £30m, I can't see Alexis turning down the money on offer to join City on the original terms.

Thanks, thought so. As a dreamer you got to dream about the un-dreamble sometimes..

Agree with what you're saying, but if we get a young(ish) player (around 24/25) for a 'lower' fee because of his contract situation but pay silly money in wages (bringing an equilibrium to what we'd have to pay if he had 2-3 years left on a contract) you're also then left in a situation in 3-4 years time when that player comes to renew and they want even more money again to re-sign. In the longer term I don't think paying stupid wages is cost effective. I understand the situation with Sanchez is different because this is likely to be his last big contract and he's trying to maximise his salary in the short-term.

I'm sure others have probably made the point already, but I'd imagine a number of players will start to run down their contracts as they know that the money the club saves on transfer fees inevitably works itself back to the player. Hopefully City can avoid this by nailing down some of their younger players in long term contracts now and review them every 2.5 years or so to avoid a Sanchez/Ozil situation.

As for Sanchez himself, I'm not that arsed. He's been awful this year and clearly has a giant ego that constantly needs massaging. It's clear half the Arsenal squad dislike him and will be glad to see the back of him. I don't think we need a character like that in the changing room, regardless of how good he might decide he wants to be when he's happy. He'd have obviously improved the team, but at a cost both financially and to the atmosphere of the squad.
Fair points. Generally it's the more experienced players, the finished article like Sanchez, that will command the higher wages. The younger ones probably wouldn't command such wages because although excellent players, e.g. Sane, Sterling, Stones, you're buying potential so you only pay more a few years down the line if that potential has been fulfilled. I think it's acceptable to have this kind of 2 tier structure, where the likes of, Aguero, Silva, Yaya earn more (providing they're getting similarly rewarded, which clearly wouldn't have been the case if Sanchez had come). The problem at the moment is, you can't only follow one approach. If you do you'll end up with an imbalanced squad - too much potential equals too much inexperience, too much experience equals an ageing squad.

Just my opinion on how it will pan out - The better players, whatever age, will look to run contracts down to get some of that extra money. As that happens, there will be an adjustment to the market (lower transfer fees) as clubs will be loath to sign a player for £100m who could be off for nothing in 4-5 years. So, you wait to get them towards the end of their contract and pay good wages. The player's happy and you're not exposing yourself to getting shafted on the transfer fee.

Longer contracts could be an answer but as we've seen with players like Van Dijk/Coutinho, if they want out they get their way eventually, regardless of contract length. And obviously with longer contracts you're exposing yourself to having a player for a long time who may not work out.

It's not about the cost of Sanchez's salary and transfer fee in isolation - it's the knock-on effect on the rest of the squad and any potential future transfers. All of whom would then know we were prepared to pay £350k per week. It could spiral into a very expensive situation down the line. Let United have that problem instead.

It would still be our problem. Star players want wage parity with other star players regardless of what club they are at. Always has been, always will be I'm afraid.

i personally think that sanchez is the one holding this up as he still wants city but his agent wants the money? unfortunately a lot of south american players feel loyalty to the agent as when the player was starting out the agent took a chance on them and get them the contracts and better moves etc? this time round i geniunely think that sanchez is still trying to sort a move to us out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.