Removing large screws that have seized in brick work

Tricky Dickys Right Foot Shot

So I'm doing an impression of home improvements and decided to redecorate the spare room and turn it into an office.

Still in process of cleaning all the clutter out but one thing has defeated me, a old CRT TV bracket that has seized into the wall!
I tried spraying the screws with some WD40 and give it the hammer treatment, but trying to carefully remove the screws has only damaged my screwdrivers, and rounded the screws!
I've recently purchased a new power drill as the old one was bobbins (as we're the drill pieces) so surely my only other option surely would be to drill the screws out?
How would I go about doing it as I've never drilled a screw out before? Do you just drill as far as the head, or burrow down as far as the screw?

These fuckers are refusing to budge!!

Sledgehammer.. or maybe cut them with an angle grinder? or the god awful electric chisel? Or, make a feature out them.

Just drill the screw head off enough so the bracket comes away. Tap the remaining screw thread up n down till it snaps. Or if you have a grinder grind the head down instead of drilling the head off

Just drill the screw head off enough so the bracket comes away. Tap the remaining screw thread up n down till it snaps. Or if you have a grinder grind the head down instead of drilling the head off

Magic! I don't have a grinder but I'll try drilling the bastards off!

Some haven't rounded off so I'm in two minds what to do with them, I might give a mother go of hammering around the ones no rounded and see if I can ease them out.

Magic! I don't have a grinder but I'll try drilling the bastards off!

Some haven't rounded off so I'm in two minds what to do with them, I might give a mother go of hammering around the ones no rounded and see if I can ease them out.

Once you've got the bracket away from the wall you may be able to use mole grips to remove the screws, otherwise as said, big fuck off hammer.

Use some screw extractors... you can get them from screwfix or most hardware stores. You get 5 sizes in a pack. Basically drill a small hole, put screw extractor into drill on reverse (they are left hand thread). As the drill goes into the screw/bolt it forces it out..

Last edited:
So I'm doing an impression of home improvements and decided to redecorate the spare room and turn it into an office.

Still in process of cleaning all the clutter out but one thing has defeated me, a old CRT TV bracket that has seized into the wall!
I tried spraying the screws with some WD40 and give it the hammer treatment, but trying to carefully remove the screws has only damaged my screwdrivers, and rounded the screws!
I've recently purchased a new power drill as the old one was bobbins (as we're the drill pieces) so surely my only other option surely would be to drill the screws out?
How would I go about doing it as I've never drilled a screw out before? Do you just drill as far as the head, or burrow down as far as the screw?

These fuckers are refusing to budge!!
Is your house insured? If so torch it and get a new one.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.