Jonny Evans

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me, there are only two situations where you should be buying a player you know will be a backup. Firstly, when they're cheap enough that it doesn't really matter, like when we got Delph. And secondly, when they're young enough that they might become good enough to start in the future, and will still have some resale value if they don't.

There are good reasons to not be in favour of the Evans move. He's not cheap, he's not young, and he's not likely to start most games. Having said that, we've been chasing him for two windows now, which suggests that it's not some impulsive decision made out of desperation. If he allows Pep to rotate the defence without causing too much disruption to our style of play (which Mangala struggles to do), then I'm willing to trust their judgement. I just hope we're not going to make the same mistake as last time we were on top and decided we didn't really need to strengthen with top class players and brought in a lot of second-rate ones that were impossible to shift for years afterwards.

Good, balanced post that. Hard to disagree with any of it.

To me, there are only two situations where you should be buying a player you know will be a backup. Firstly, when they're cheap enough that it doesn't really matter, like when we got Delph. And secondly, when they're young enough that they might become good enough to start in the future, and will still have some resale value if they don't.

There are good reasons to not be in favour of the Evans move. He's not cheap, he's not young, and he's not likely to start most games. Having said that, we've been chasing him for two windows now, which suggests that it's not some impulsive decision made out of desperation. If he allows Pep to rotate the defence without causing too much disruption to our style of play (which Mangala struggles to do), then I'm willing to trust their judgement. I just hope we're not going to make the same mistake as last time we were on top and decided we didn't really need to strengthen with top class players and brought in a lot of second-rate ones that were impossible to shift for years afterwards.

The chasing him for one and a half windows but not signing him yet makes me think he's a bit of a last resort signing. Surely it's not a difficult deal to do, it's almost as if we are waiting to see if anymore better become's available.

Looks decent, but what’s the prospect of Newcastle selling their captain when embroiled in a relegation dogfight? I think people keep missing this - our need is seemingly urgent, and their are very few suitable CBs available this window, hence why we’re looking at Evans and Martinez.
Surely similar to wba selling their supposed star in a similar situation. Maybe the fact Ashley doesn’t seem to care for the club might help as well?

The chasing him for one and a half windows but not signing him yet makes me think he's a bit of a last resort signing. Surely it's not a difficult deal to do, it's almost as if we are waiting to see if anymore better become's available.
Obviously it's the price though. I think most of us, even with current prices would say that £20m is the top end of what you'd pay for a 30 year old backup defender. But if selling him sends West Brom down (which might happen anyway, of course), then he's worth far more than that to them. There's also the issue of them getting a replacement. They might be more willing to sell for a reasonable price if they can get someone else in, but that's less likely to happen in the January window.

He’ll probably double his salary at least. Not sure many people would turn their nose up at that. I’m not even that keen on signing him, but I think your particular criticism is harsh.
Again, I can fully understand him wanting to double his pay, near the end of his playing career too, but I'm looking at it from the City side. We're paying a lot of money on both the fee, and his wages (if rumours are true), just for him to come here and be back up, and quite possibly hardly play,, and there will be no resale value if in 6 months we've found someone better, its an easy life for some footballers.

Anyway we can agree on not wanting the deal, and I don't want it for football reasons either.

Yeah there's understanding why West Brom would want a little more than £20m and why Evans would want to come to City but past a certain threshold it'd hard to see it as a good deal for City. £30m looks a lot worse, wages I've not read much about but past a certain point you can get much better for not much more and plan for the the future too while you do it.

We'll see anyway, not really bothered that he played for the Rags as long as I keep reminding myself of Kiddo who's turned into a brilliant ambassador for City who everybody loves. Hargreaves seems to have a soft spot for City too even though he played for the rags first and of course there's Tevez who is still a favourite of mine, it's hardly the first time we've signed an ex rag and they've normally turned out ok. I'm just focussing on the football aspect, still not convinced but it does depend on who we have a realistic chance of signing in Jan.

Last edited:
Delph’s doing alright, tbf.

Fair enough, although he has only been decent this season and has not been playing in the position that he was signed to cover. Perhaps he is the exception that proves the rule... In any case, he cost just £8m and I think that he was just 25 years old when we signed him. If anything, it shows how bad a deal this would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.