Carillion going bust

Did you see dianne abbott commenting on Carillion.

She said “ how much is a carillion? , is it more or less than a billion?”

Coincidence?

Chris Grayling appointed Justice Secretary in 2012

First job is to be involved in a "Prison benchmarking programme" where staff were reduced from about 23,000 in 2012 to about 18,000 in 2015

After a Prison enquiry it was decdided savings and staffing shortages had made "a significant contribution to the deterioration and safety" in prisons.

Carillion awarded Prison contract in 2015

Grayling gets a sideways move in 2015

Grayling then lands the Transport Secretary's job in July 2016

Carillion awared HS2 contract in July 2017

Like i say, coincidence?
Estates staff were TUPE'd to Carillion as part of the contact. Stinks.

well.... thats your view. I am not entirely sure that when Carillion goes bust is the main point though. If, instead of trying to prop up a failing private company with public money - our taxes - they let it go bust say this time last year is the suggestion that was somehow worse? Profit warnings were being issued and still Grayling and the like funnelled contracts (money) their way - its not as if the Carillion directors could be telling him something different is it? Like "ignore those profit warnings Chris. We issue them to show how well we are doing". How is it acceptable for a free market thinking government to use public money and intervene in the market totally contrary to their supposed principles?

Think you will find that (a) serial protesters were moaning a long time before Carillion's failure using foresight not hindsight (b) the facts about the pension deficit and the state of the company were well known and (c) I agree they have no responsibility for it - it should lie with the company directors, not our Govt who tried to prop up a failing firm.

Why didn't Boris as foreign secretary have a word in Qatar's shell like and ask them to pay up what they owe Carillion so we didn't have to shovel contracts to them? Why didn't Mayday do likewise if the Gulf States are such staunch allies? And why didn't the government listen to all the siren voices and award contracts elsewhere allowing a controlled manage down of Carillion to a smaller profitable enterprise or to a controlled close down?
If my aunt had bollocks, the government awarding Carillon further contracts in 2016 and 2017 would have been enough to prevent them folding and would have saved thousands of jobs. And she'd have been my uncle. Things don't always go to plan.

However, I'm not one to advocate government intervention: In fact as an admirer of Thatcher, quite the opposite. I was merely reflecting that sometimes decisions are more complicated especially when thousands of jobs are at stake.

Corbyn's stance is typically hilarious however: We shouldn't have been handing government contracts to Carillion (which would probably have seen them go under sooner) and now they have gone under, we have not done or are not doing enough to keep them afloat. The man is of course a buffoon.

Sadly not mate. No underwriter will touch that in the M.E.

Isn’t there a Govt backed insurance scheme that covers non payment on exports for certain high risk countries? Export Credit Agency or something like that. Or possibly I’m remembering it or it’s function incorrectly.

Isn’t there a Govt backed insurance scheme that covers non payment on exports for certain high risk countries? Export Credit Agency or something like that. Or possibly I’m remembering it or it’s function incorrectly.
Not sure Carillion Qatar LLP are classed as providing an export to be honest mate.

Corbyn's stance is typically hilarious however: We shouldn't have been handing government contracts to Carillion (which would probably have seen them go under sooner) and now they have gone under, we have not done or are not doing enough to keep them afloat. The man is of course a buffoon.

Hang on. If they were underbidding for the contracts, wouldn't they be losing even more money if they got new contracts?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.