Newcastle, May 1968, let's have your memories.

I wasn't there but followed the game via the BBC's teleprinter, which printed out the goals as they went in. There as no radio commentary as I recall so that was the only way you had of knoiwng the score in something like real time.
1-0
1-1
2-1
2-2
then it went 3-2 and 4-2 and I was thinking that's surely it. Then Newcastle got one back with just 5 minutes to go and I was sat there, with my scarf on, nervous as hell with no way of knowing what was happening. Finally the teleprinter clacked out "FT: Newcastle 3 Man City 4. Man City win the League for the first time since 1937" and that was it.

Here's The Guardian report from the game: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/may/14/guardian-report-manchester-city-1968
Hahaha
No wonder you don't have the loyalty points Colin!

It was quite sketchy as I was 10 at the time
My dad, mum and a couple of his brothers/in law and me in my dad's estate car.
Stood near the wall where Franny is often pictured with his arms aloft, you can make me out.
At the end I couldn't work out why my family were going mental, too young to understand I guess. But Neil Young became my favourite player that day, and remains so to this day, he could do no wrong.
Everyone was so happy on the drive home.

Went to the game v Bury shortly after she we were presented with the trophy, I remember the traffic that night was mental.

I was really lucky to be there and to be at the FA Cup final in 69 followed by the League Cup final and Cup Winners Cup final in 1970.
I thought we were the best team in the work and would carry on winning trophies forever.
Got that wrong.
So you young uns, drink it in and live for today as it may end tomorrow.

I was 16 and me and my mate's went on Connelly's coach from just down the road from the Plough pub Hyde rd Gorton,went in the Lezers end (Newcastle's end) behind goal undercover. I remember Summerbee opening the scoring for City at my end of the ground,City fans all over the ground that day,no tickets just pay on the day.On the pitch at the end a fantastic afternoon.

Went from cadishead via eccles on the ` fieldsend ` coach i was 14 with my elder brother and his mates , me being young colin , i had been to alot of games that season as the title chase hotted up including chelsea on a tuesday night away . united the great 3-1 and the great victory at spurs the previous saturday, yes two away games to finish season , fixtures fixed in those days
Arrrived newcastle after an age and a winding convoy up the A1, think we had a chippy and then on to st jamess , we decided to go in the paddock opposite the e players tunnel.
The game seemed to fly by and was soon around to half time every time we scored they scored , think it came up at half time reds were drawing no twitter themdays
Second half is history over the wall at full time , felt really naughty getting on the pitch
Got the coach back , we stopped somewhere and i tasted Newcy Brown for first time arrive home at daft a clock mum still waiting up . couldnt wait for itv soccer next day and read every sunday paper,
Like others on here next stop was wembley 1969 , league cup final 1970 and lucky enough to go to ECWC final in vienna 1970 When would it end ?

Like you youngsters on here I SWEAR YOU WILL NEVER SEE ANYTHING LIKE IT AGAIN SO WATCH IT DRINK IT IN

just noticed on footage when neil young scores third goal mike doyle picks ref up , cant imigine david silva doing the the same to robbie madley

I was thirteen at the time ( living in Brooklands ) and got a Bullocks coach from town with three or four lads of the same age. Think we had less than a fiver between all
of us to last the whole day!!
Paid into the open end but you could walk down the side terrace and into the home end (Leisers) which we duly did. Some big geezers in there so didn't get the best view
of the game....but so what. It was one of those sparkly days you occasionally get in life.

Really wanted to be there with me mates but was stuck on duty in Bordon, Hampshire. Couldn't find anyone to swap so stuck in the guardroom listening on the radio. Sick as the proverbial.

I wasn't there but followed the game via the BBC's teleprinter, which printed out the goals as they went in. There as no radio commentary as I recall so that was the only way you had of knoiwng the score in something like real time.
1-0
1-1
2-1
2-2
then it went 3-2 and 4-2 and I was thinking that's surely it. Then Newcastle got one back with just 5 minutes to go and I was sat there, with my scarf on, nervous as hell with no way of knowing what was happening. Finally the teleprinter clacked out "FT: Newcastle 3 Man City 4. Man City win the League for the first time since 1937" and that was it.

Here's The Guardian report from the game: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/may/14/guardian-report-manchester-city-1968
great report. Saddened only when I scolled down to read this (Hey Roberto, how about Jack fucking Rodwell?":

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/may/14/manchester-city-transfers-title

I was 21 at the time, travelled up by car with 3 mates, went crazy at the final whistle, on the way back we were following a coach through Leeds, I think it was a Finglands, anyway it stopped at some traffic lights and 3 twats started throwing stones at the coach, we all jumped out of the car with our City scarves on and they legged it, as we ran back to the car all the City fans started cheering, we felt like hero's.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.