FC Basel V City Trip

I've just booked this with spikes about an hour ago.
Ring up as there may be some places left.

Travelled to Basel a few times. As a great alternative and cheap beer Freiburg is a great City 45 mins away on high speed train. Flights to Frankfurt if cheaper gives you a fast train in less than 2 hours.
Loads of bars in Freiburg

Freiburg is a great place, went a few years ago and the manager Volker Finke gave me and Mrs Tbilisi tickets for a sell out game.Had Uwe on my City shirt that I think helped.

Want to stay there again but think trains stop just after 11pm so not sure how anyone would get back after the game?

Hi everybody. I'm from Basel. I've been browsing through your forum out of pure anticipation of the upcoming match. There seems to be quite a buzz about beer prices (understandably so), so I thought I could clear that up.
Actually, I've never payed 10£ for a beer here in Basel. Average prices for a regular beer (0.5 l) range from 7 to 8 CHF (5.30 to 6 £). There are some rip-off bars in the centre that demand 7£ for a beer (including English / Irish pubs) but 10£ is definitively a myth. In a supermarket and off-license you get a beer for 1 to 2 Francs.
What is really expensive though is proper restaurant food. 20-40 CHF easily.
As has been pointed out in here, prices are much lower in neighbouring Germany and France, but bear in mind that there's not much going on there on a Tuesday night. Basel isn't Berlin either, but there are some decent bars and clubs, some of which don't close until the small hours, just ask some locals.

Thanks for info bs.

I have booked the hotel below for Tuesday night as its near the train station but can you confirm its the right train station for a Frankfurt train as we have to leave early Wednesday morning? I thought there were 2 train stations in Basel and I want to be sure.

Ibis Budget
Grosspeterstrasse 12,
Basel,

Last edited:
Your hotel is near the Swiss station (Basel SBB). Trains to Frankfurt usually stop there as well, however, there are some early trains that depart from the German station (Basel Badischer Bahnhof) only. In case your train doesn't stop at Basel SBB, there are still suburban trains from there to the German station, so that shouldn't be a problem. You can find the connections here: https://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

Your hotel is near the Swiss station (Basel SBB). Trains to Frankfurt usually stop there as well, however, there are some early trains that depart from the German station (Basel Badischer Bahnhof) only. In case your train doesn't stop at Basel SBB, there are still suburban trains from there to the German station, so that shouldn't be a problem. You can find the connections here: https://www.sbb.ch/en/home.html

Thanks a lot bs......good to see you on the forum

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.