Media Thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I try to be. It is a hardly outlandish statement to say I am not comfortable with people spouting vitriol about others over social media.

And before people jump on their high horse there are varying degrees of everything. Calling someone on an arse on a forum is a world away in comparison to some of the poison you see written.

You only have to view the treatment of Sterling as an example of how unhealthy it can be.
And what about people spouting their angst ridden vitriol though a national and international broadcaster? Supporting the injuries of fellow professionals and then getting back at them, I guess that's ok though.

And what about people spouting their angst ridden vitriol though a national and international broadcaster? Supporting the injuries of fellow professionals and then getting back at them, I guess that's ok though.

No, that is pretty much the point. Its all unacceptable.

No, that is pretty much the point. Its all unacceptable.
Some are in response to others.
Some are at a higher level than others.
Unfortunately in your rush to defend the perceived idiocy of City fans you sometimes defend the indefensible. And in this case, imho, you have just done that.
I couldn't give a monkeys about Tyler's commentary, he's part of the machine that I stoped paying for in 2010. However I did hear his comments regarding the Mane goal and they were beyond the pale.
I haven't searched out social media responses from no marks I supporting or attacking him, as they are worthless

Some are in response to others.
Some are at a higher level than others.
Unfortunately in your rush to defend the perceived idiocy of City fans you sometimes defend the indefensible. And in this case, imho, you have just done that.
I couldn't give a monkeys about Tyler's commentary, he's part of the machine that I stoped paying for in 2010. However I did hear his comments regarding the Mane goal and they were beyond the pale.
I haven't searched out social media responses from no marks I supporting or attacking him, as they are worthless

If you can name one place I have referenced City fans in relation to this topic please highlight it.

The wider topic here is social media/forums and the platform it gives people to denigrate individuals. As highlighted one example is Raheem Sterling.

Yes comments to you about ‘no marks on the internet attacking him as they are worthless’, but probably the individual who is being attacked less so.

I do not actually know what your point is, I presume its not to advocate abuse online, so not really sure what your argument is.

Yea but for the record if I read on twitter someone writing poisonous abuse about an ex-player, commentator etc, City fan are not I would not defend it.

Last edited:
That is quite a nasty piece, presumably a retort to Lucky Toma's piece - he's also listed as a writer on that site.
Yeah, LT's piece was almost certain to provoke an arms race between various bloggers.... The question of Tyler's loyalty is irrelevant, what is more to the point is what team he despises. The assertion that pundits have to be neutral if they want to keep their job is blatantly untrue. You would have to go back to pre-murdoch days for that .

It is a pretty strongly worded piece but no worse than the vitriol on forums and social media aimed at individuals. Neither sit overly comfortable with me especially when its simed at a pretty harmless figure like Martin Tyler.

That's true, however Richard Jolly is a professional journalist (Guardian, ESPN), and doesn't even seem to allow that it is a minority with extreme opinions who could be ignored.
It read to me as if he was burying that under criticism of the majority for not shouting down the minority.
It feels quite cheap to major on Agueroooo alone as evidence of balance. It doesn't reflect the Benteke volley occasion at all, when that seems to be a possible cause for his opening lines about Liverpool fans being up in arms - I don't know if they were upset by his commentary on Sunday,

Last edited:
we are a bunch of second rate / third rate /4th rate supporters of a north western club...far behind liverpool/man utd and everton.I love how people born in london and ireland support utd and liverpool . there is nothing else to say .

Well I try to be. It is a hardly outlandish statement to say I am not comfortable with people spouting vitriol about others over social media.

And before people jump on their high horse there are varying degrees of everything. Calling someone on an arse on a forum is a world away in comparison to some of the poison you see written.

You only have to view the treatment of Sterling as an example of how unhealthy it can be and the legacy of that abuse.
Thing is if the fa told city they had to play in red you'd go along with it.

That's true, however Richard Jolly is a professional journalist (Guardian, ESPN), and doesn't even seem to allow that it is a minority with extreme opinions, but instead it read to me as if he was criticising the majority for not shouting down the minority.

I am not sure I read it completely like that. He does talk about the ‘darker corners of the internet’ and ‘mainstream moderates are given a bad name’ but take your point on how he infers others are influenced. I would also add he fails to mention the influence his own profession has for inciting false narratives and hate. Which arguably is much worse as they have more influence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.