The importance of Wembley 1999

its nearly 20 years ago and i can live with the fact manchester city was on its knee's and we never turned our backs on them talk about money for old rope we turn up and happy hand over our money yes we liked a moan yes the club took us for granted yes the board and chairman was in a panic but the truth is

i would go and watch manchester city play sunday league football don't ask me why its in my blood this cult of a football club got me hooked line and sinker
You and me both Blue

I often go on about the significance of this game from a national perspective too. I know it's easy to over hype an individual moment but, based on interviews I did with MPs, councillors and of course City related people, there's a clear picture that emerges:

- the agreement for City to move to the new stadium wasn't made until after the 1999 play off win
- it has been confirmed to me that had City not been promoted it is unlikely the investment in the stadium would have been made and City would probably have stayed at Maine Road
- it was admitted to me that a smaller stadium would've been built for the games with, perhaps, a 10,000 capacity permanent stand and temporary stands for the Games (to hold about 35,000)
- that stadium would probably have become the regional stadium with a permanent capacity of 10-15,000.
- As the agreement was made, the stadium was built with its two stage development (Games, then transformation into footy)
- That commitment by City to move guaranteed a life for the stadium and ensured the Games became a higher profile/more successful event in terms of facilities.
- The Games were a great success and then encouraged London that it could stage the Olympics (Much was gained by Manchester's Games in terms of planning etc.).
- The London Olympics were awarded based on the country's experience of staging successful games
- Thaksin invested in City because of the potential of the venue and club (we know how it panned out but on the day he bought the club there were no obvious financial issues for him, nor were there any worrying signs, other than his human rights stuff of course!)
- Abu Dhabi bought MCFC because of the potential too.
- Abu Dhabi have invested significantly into Manchester and the region.

So, in short, that goal paved the way for a successful Commonwealth Games, London being awarded the Olympics, City moving, and the investment in both the club and the region (and then the establishment of City clubs around the world).

Quite a lot for a couple of late goals and a successful penalty shoot out!

I often go on about the significance of this game from a national perspective too. I know it's easy to over hype an individual moment but, based on interviews I did with MPs, councillors and of course City related people, there's a clear picture that emerges:

- the agreement for City to move to the new stadium wasn't made until after the 1999 play off win
- it has been confirmed to me that had City not been promoted it is unlikely the investment in the stadium would have been made and City would probably have stayed at Maine Road
- it was admitted to me that a smaller stadium would've been built for the games with, perhaps, a 10,000 capacity permanent stand and temporary stands for the Games (to hold about 35,000)
- that stadium would probably have become the regional stadium with a permanent capacity of 10-15,000.
- As the agreement was made, the stadium was built with its two stage development (Games, then transformation into footy)
- That commitment by City to move guaranteed a life for the stadium and ensured the Games became a higher profile/more successful event in terms of facilities.
- The Games were a great success and then encouraged London that it could stage the Olympics (Much was gained by Manchester's Games in terms of planning etc.).
- The London Olympics were awarded based on the country's experience of staging successful games
- Thaksin invested in City because of the potential of the venue and club (we know how it panned out but on the day he bought the club there were no obvious financial issues for him, nor were there any worrying signs, other than his human rights stuff of course!)

So, in short, that goal paved the way for a successful Commonwealth Games, London being awarded the Olympics, City moving, and the investment in both the club and the region (and then the establishment of City clubs around the world).

Dickov should be knighted

When you put it like that wow.

I think we would have probably come up the following season but for a certain section of the fanbase it was of huge significance.

I vowed never to go to Wembley until City got there and at 23, and having never seen a trophy in my lifetime, this was my day in the sun and to enjoy days like my united supporting work mates/friends etc enjoyed.

To lose that game, to Gillingham, would have been a completely new low as would the long journey back to Manchester, the humiliation that awaits and another season amongst the dead men.

Psychologically it lifted the gloom on a very disappointing season and probably gave fans a bit of confidence that the footballing gods were not aligned against us and gave fans a day out, supporting City, which was not ruined by the match.

Like the OP I was younger at the time (9) and didn’t quite understand the magnitude of our situation but being at Wembley and the sheer emotion of the Wigan game really built the game up for me. At 2-0 down I was crying my eyes out, my dad wanted to leave but I insisted we stay and I am so glad we did. If it wasn’t for Aguero the Dickov celebrations would be he single greatest moment in my city supporting career. Aguero shades it now because it is more recent and raw. Both equally important for very different reasons. I do wonder how crazy we must have looked from the Gillingham fans end.

You must be my long lost twin or something because that is pretty much identical to my experience that day, although I was partly crying because my Dad was calling me a jinx 2-0 down. So I begged him to stay, we stayed, and the rest was history. I remember coming back to my house on a small terraced street in Moston later that night, and pretty much every house on that street had their City flags/posters up inside their windows including mine thanks to my Mum. It was like the City jubilee. Even now, I have a collage of favourite moments in a picture frame and the iconic Dickov slide is front and centre. What a day.

But other than that, what good came of it all?

I'll occassionally have a read through these:

https://mcivta.com/newsletter-0505/
https://mcivta.com/newsletter-0506/

to bring back memories of the day as well as watching youtube videos as others have linked. Was brilliant reading through them at Uni when I wasn't aware of forums/messageboards etc to see other fans had been through the wringer just as much as I had.

Just read the first one - incredible to see the first 2 paragraphs of the Match Report.

1) who'd have thought that moment could be repeated, and to some surpassed, in winning a league title just over a decade later

2) who'd have thought we'd still be discussing ticketing issues nearly 20 years later!!!! (For very different reasons)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.