Ederson Moraes - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never seen such amazing distribution from a goalkeeper. He was likened to Neuer before he came but he is more than that, he is literally like another defender. Other than a few errors against Liverpool, he has been outstanding this season with big saves against Palace and the rags.

If he works on his position and decision making at corners he will be a great goalkeeper for us for years to come.

I have never seen such amazing distribution from a goalkeeper. He was likened to Neuer before he came but he is more than that, he is literally like another defender. Other than a few errors against Liverpool, he has been outstanding this season with big saves against Palace and the rags.

If he works on his position and decision making at corners he will be a great goalkeeper for us for years to come.
Ter Stegen is the only keeper in Ederson's class with regard to distribution.

Until this season, TS was pretty erratic in goal, making poor decisions leading to needless opposition goals. He's turned it around apparently this season.

Ederson is much more consistent already - a little more work at the goal keeping basics will see him emerge as one of the best - if not the best - keepers of his generation.

Last edited:
Ter Stegen is the only keeper in Ederson's class with regard to distribution.

Until this season, TS was pretty erratic in goal, making poor decisions leading to needless opposition goals. He's turned it around apparently this season.

Ederson is much more consistent already - a little more work at the goal keeping basics will see him emerge as one of the best - if not the best - keepers of his generation.

Totally agree

Their first goal is the second or third time he has been beaten to his right that when you look at the replay his positioning is not good. He seems to drift slightly too much to the left which I'm sure closes down a shot to his near post but opens him up wide. Shay had a lot to say about him not being properly balanced before his dive but I thought it was as much his original position. No doubt the goalkeeper coach will identify this and help him remedy it. Ox should not have been allowed a free run and shot on goal in the first place.

Agree with every word. I have noticed a few times this season that he seems to get his angles wrong. But the goalkeeper coach will I’m sure notice that and correct it.

It's easy to forget he is only 23 and is not very experienced,i think he is doing what pep asks him to do,the whole defence went AWOL at the same time so he was left damned if he came out and damned if he stayed at home,they will all have learned a big lesson,i hope

Agree that he is learning the ropes - and this is part of his education. But he does come off his line too often for my liking - he should really only be doing that when facing a 1-on-1 situation. That was possibly the case with Firmino's goal, so can possibly exonerate him on that one. But there are other occasions this season where he could have been easily lobbed. Unfortunately, the first one to do it was Firmino - and only just (aided by a somewhat lucky bounce off the post). But the 4th goal was a major rookie error. The situation cried out for booting into Row Z and he had sufficient time to do that. That was the real killer goal. If we are only 2 down and Bernardo's goal gets us to 1 down with 12 mins or so left, then I reckon we have a great chance of even winning the game.

Their first goal is the second or third time he has been beaten to his right that when you look at the replay his positioning is not good. He seems to drift slightly too much to the left which I'm sure closes down a shot to his near post but opens him up wide. Shay had a lot to say about him not being properly balanced before his dive but I thought it was as much his original position. No doubt the goalkeeper coach will identify this and help him remedy it. Ox should not have been allowed a free run and shot on goal in the first place.

I see your point - but it's a tricky one. #1 goalie lesson is protect your near post and force the attacker to go across you. If he is good enough to find the far corner then power to him. Now you can argue that Oxlade's shot was actually not quite in the far corner - which lends some credence to what you are saying. It grieves me to say so, but de Gea probably saves that one.

Last edited:
I see your point - but it's a tricky one. #1 goalie lesson is protect your near post and force the attacker to go across you. If he is good enough to find the far corner then power to him. Now you can argue that Oxlade's shot was actually not quite in the far corner - which lends some credence to what you are saying. It grieves me to say so, but de Gea probably saves that one.
I'd be more worried about the shambolic defending and three or four missed tackles in the lead up to that one.

Loved this from David Squires
nouag5.jpg

Concentration today for me has he could have pulled a deck chair out for the majority of the game but he reacted to the lost ball by instantly standing tall and blocking the shot and then making a crucial dive to poke it clear for Ferny to get it away.

Beast of a keeper and we have no worries with this lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.