Final Salary Pensions / Deficits / Benefits (long post)

Cheers and thanks so much. To add I wonder if the equitable life “with profits” pension sounds risky
It’s no more risky than anything else but it does sound like a defined contribution scheme (ie the value is based on what’s been increased rather than how many years have been accrued). There’s certainly no need to panic tonight.

Yes totally agree.

But my thread is about DB schemes and letting people know some of the pros and cons of such schemes.

If your employer is happy to contribute to a DC scheme then there’s very little risk in doing so as you will usually double or treble your money on day one.

I have, at no point, given “duff or misleading advice” and I find it rather offensive that you even suggest such a thing.

My thread is about DB schemes as stated in the title so I don’t know why you keep talking about DC schemes. It’s like a thread on Ederson and some bloke keep going on about him not being great as his goal per game record is wank. They are totally different subjects.

Hmmmm - don't know where the other posts went???!

Anyway, fair enough. I was not meaning to imply that you were misleading people nor that your advice was bad. I am sure you know more about pensions than I do. I was merely wanting to ensure people were not confused into thinking that they shouldn't join a company defined contribution scheme where free money was being offered. As I mentioned, I've seen people saying "honestly why would anyone bother in putting money into a company pension these days", which is worrying.

Last edited:
It’s no more risky than anything else but it does sound like a defined contribution scheme (ie the value is based on what’s been increased rather than how many years have been accrued). There’s certainly no need to panic tonight.
Yeah, plus I just don’t like the idea of 35K sat in a dead pension fund doing nothing, in 2045 it will be worth only £54k. 45 years saving for only £54k makes me feel queasy. If we could move it to the new fund would it be worth more ?

Cheers and if you can Let me know tomorrow when you have some time :-)

Hmmmm - don't know where the other posts went???!

Anyway, fair enough. I was not meaning to imply that you were misleading people nor that your advice was bad. I am sure you know more about pensions than I do. I was merely wanting to ensure people were not confused into thinking that they shouldn't join a company defined benefit scheme where free money was being offered. As I mentioned, I've seen people saying "honestly why would anyone bother in putting money into a company pension these days", which is worrying.
Just for the record I deleted them to keep the thread on track before it turned into the Chippy and SWP show

Now back to pensions........

I am due mine at 55 but have an option to take early at 50 at a ratio of 0.75 or defer to 60 at a ratio of 1.25. I'm tempted to take it early, would that be a bad move ?

If the scheme’s in trouble then they are, yes. But it’s not a standard course of action.

It’s one of the reasons why getting a full breakdown of the scheme, it’s value, it’s funding position an everything else should be taken on an annual or biannual basis. It’s free of charge and a right of every scheme member.
Thanks mate.
They do a three yearly actuarial evaluation and adjust the company contributions accordingly. Although the scheme is in deficit by a couple of billion it’s got no worse since 2014.

As I mentioned, I've seen people saying "honestly why would anyone bother in putting money into a company pension these days", which is worrying.
Absolutely. That would be crazy. But I’ve also had clients who had accrued an annual pension entitlement of £25,000 per year. Whilst that may not seem a huge amount by itself, depending on the scheme, it could be worth £1m in transfer value to a personal pension.

Now if the member stays in the DB scheme dies at 64, with a dead spouse and two kids aged 20 and 24 then the kids get nothing at all. If the spouse was still alive then they’d get £12,500 per year until they passed and still the kids would get nothing at all, never mind an amount that would potentially transform their lives and those of their children.

I’m a huge fan of company schemes as free money is free money as you say, my main point was that people should always be educated as to their options.

I have several clients in the Carillion Scheme that didn’t transfer out in time as I hadn’t met them soon enough and they no longer have the option to move their DB scheme, so that despite the fact they’ve now lost a minimum of 10% of their benefits, if they don’t live a long life, then their spouse will only get half their accrued pension income and their grown up kids will receive nothing. Whereas if they transferred out then their kids would have been set for life.

At no point have I tried to actually give advice, I just want people to understand the rules as 95% of the people I speak to don’t when they really should as it’s usually their biggest asset after property (and sometimes surpasses even that!).

But the final time (and despite it being off topic) I’ll say, a defined contribution or money purchase scheme does not fall foul of those rules and they are very positive things to have as part of ones contract.

Last edited:
I am due mine at 55 but have an option to take early at 50 at a ratio of 0.75 or defer to 60 at a ratio of 1.25. I'm tempted to take it early, would that be a bad move ?
Can I pm you tomorrow matey. The wife is tutting at me still being on my phone. (The answer will almost certainly depend on your individual circumstance).

I watched this handy video and understand the difference between the two types. I’m really gonna start sorting this now and getting serious about our pensions. Everything they send Just gets stuffed in a drawer but not anymore

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.