Jordan Peterson vs Cathy Newman C4 Interview

Bossed. Literally and figuratively.

What is funny is that the tone, tenor and substance of the interview basically proved everything he was saying! QED.

Too right. The woman has had loads of online abuse since this was aired online by C4

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...nline-abuse-says-professor-in-tv-misogyny-row

Out of interest, how much of the online stuff do you consider was abuse and how much would you say was fair criticism based on the way she approached the interview and interview technique? or do you see it all as the same thing?

Also kinda ironic that it's Peterson himself who has asked people to back off.

Noticed it mentions in the article that there was a count of 'woman' used over 500 times on social media directed at her. While i noticed a few nobhead trolls on social media, i hardly saw any abuse and the word 'woman' was mostly used regarding the Dave Chapelle/Gotcha woman meme thats been around for a while.

Interesting to listen to, think she was just trying to force a slip up from him rather than misinterpreting/ not understanding. Just trying to do the whole Paxman thing, but fair play to him he kept his cool and didnt bite. She was half proven right in the end by his followers attacking her afterwards for no good reason. But an interesting interview all the same.

He's a clever man without a doubt. Sadly they were not understanding eachother much in that interview. His talk with Sam Harris, and his definition of the word 'truth' was painful, but even more painful was this recent debate with David Benatar. Worth listening to purely for the subject matter.

Highlight for me(22:20):

She so wanted to say "fuck you I'm done with this".

That's my problem with modern feminism it stopped being about equality long ago, listening to her arguments on women getting into positions of power in the work place(even her resentful tone in how she had to battle for her own position) it seems she has an idea that men don't have to battle to get ahead in life as most feminists seem to make the mistake of doing. It's almost as if she's saying everything should be given to them for being different/feminine, everyone competes in business it's how it is. They also have a habit of highlighting problems which are more about your background(middle class, working class, poor) than they are about your gender which both sexes will have to face and ignorantly oversimplifying the pay gap issue. That especially annoyed me as he pointed it out several times gender was a smaller part of the problem(ie it's the type of work, the amount of time in work and all sorts of other factors) and she seemed to know he had a point but still ignorantly kept on banging her drum about it.

What was also rich was there was only one person who seemed to have divisive sentiments yet that person came out and said it to the other. 4th wave feminism is so divisive that it will be the undoing of the whole movement eventually.

Been meaning to check out a book I heard about: "Who Stole Feminism?: How Women Have Betrayed Women" by Christina Sommers(a feminist herself), wrote back in 1995 being proven right on a lot of what she said apparently.

Philosophy professor Christina Sommers has exposed a disturbing development: how a group of zealots, claiming to speak for all women, are promoting a dangerous new agenda that threatens our most cherished ideals and sets women against men in all spheres of life.

Last edited:
Peterson's too good of a debater for her (maybe and ironically) because she's not often exposed to people like him because many on the new left in this country find it easier to dismiss him as a controversialist/extremist. Unfortunately in most aspects of life in Britain (even on the internet), we normally have safe spaces in the press, on campuses, and in politics on issues like gender politics, race politics, religious politics hence why she's not accustomed to grappling with the points that he makes.

Maybe if Newman was versed in this kind of debate, she could have told him that it's impossible to separate equality of opportunity and equality of outcome. For example, a girl with a vague interest in science might not study Engineering at university for a number of reasons related to equality of outcome, e.g. she may not want to work in a male dominated field/she may find her job to be too masculine (in the same way that men are put off becoming nurses)/there are next-to-none female role models in that field so, irrespective of whether she's the best person for any future hypothetical engineering job, the inequality of outcome means there's an inequality of opportunity which informs her decision to study Medicine instead.

...it's impossible to separate equality of opportunity and equality of outcome. For example, a girl with a vague interest in science might not study Engineering at university for a number of reasons related to equality of outcome, e.g. she may not want to work in a male dominated field/she may find her job to be too masculine (in the same way that men are put off becoming nurses)/there are next-to-none female role models in that field so, irrespective of whether she's the best person for any future hypothetical engineering job, the inequality of outcome means there's an inequality of opportunity which informs her decision to study Medicine instead.
What I would say to that is she still makes her own choice and the opportunity is still there, also the idea that masculinity is bad and femininity is good isn't equality is it? If someone said "too feminine" there would be all sorts of kneejerk reactions, yet this sort of stuff gets said all the time of masculinity as if it's a problem.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.