Jimmy Armfield

Ric

Administrator
Has passed away after a battle with cancer, aged 82. Sad news, always came across as a nice man.

Sad news. A great player I had the privilege of seeing. Many don't know he was in England's 1966 World Cup squad. As Ric says he came across as a really decent bloke and was always impartial in his commentaries and reports.

Very sad news, RIP Jimmy, true Blackpool and football legend. I'm from the area and know his son John, used to teach me PE at school, great guy. Loved listening to Jimmy on the radio, Condolences to the family at this sad time.

A smashing fellow, intelligent as well as likeable - unlike some football people we could mention.
I recall standing outside Maine Rd with my brother before one game, when Jimmy walked up to the main entrance, presumably to do one of his radio broadcasts. We recognised him and greeted him with a cheery "Hello, Jim", and he replied with an equally jovial "Ah! A couple of diehard old supporters!" ("old" being about right).
His analyses were always thoughtful and considered, and delivered in a soft and pleasant local accent. I saw an interview with him recently on a Sky Sports channel, and I don't know if anyone else saw it, but I was so impressed with his ideas and also with his demeanour. He was of course also a very fine player.
A sad loss indeed. One of the nice guys.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.