Aymeric Laporte

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the thing with De Jong...he could be a CB, defensive midfielder, #10...he could be a full back in Pep's system.

It doesn't matter, he's just a supremely talented, incredibly intelligent young footballer so you get him in and he probably just plays where you need him. The comparison to Kimmich someone else made is a good one.
De Jong is a tremendous player with such versatility . Surprised any of the so called big 6 haven't really noticed yet . Maybe it's because of his thin frame that puts them off .

His follow up stories on that were wide of the mark though. Basically made out that our entire transfer strategy for the summer hinged on that one deal and that other signings wouldn't arrive. That didn't prove to be the case.

I do think he gets a lot right, but he has also been dead wrong on a couple of things too. Seems to know more than most but he is far from infallible and I think he plugs gaps in his knowledge sometimes with guesswork presented as though it's fact (as do plenty of journalists).
I have to say I find if you read what he writes and listen to what he says, he is very reliable.
He doesn't claim information he doesn't have, I don't recall him getting the Alves story wrong, he said not getting him which we expected meant we couldn't get a left back which was correct.

De Jong is a tremendous player with such versatility . Surprised any of the so called big 6 haven't really noticed yet . Maybe it's because of his thin frame that puts them off .

I'm not sure he's ready to leave the Netherlands just yet. He's only 20 and this is his breakout season with Ajax.

Incidentally I think we are building ourselves to be in pole position when players like him become available.

We're building a squad with the age profile that we could realistically go several seasons without signing anyone, and that means being in a position to jump in and get those players who might be a gamble, or need developing because the needs of the squad aren't immediate.

When you're no longer planning for next season, you can get some amazing deals, like Real Madrid have done with Ceballos and Asensio, or Bayern with Corentin Tolisso or Coman a few years back.

That's when we'll really start to build a long term dynasty, when you're picking up 18/19/20 year olds on the cheap before they make a big move and letting them incubate at City, because unlike United/Chelsea/Liverpool we don't need to urgently upgrade the starting XI.

Last edited:
I'm not sure he's ready to leave the Netherlands just yet. He's only 20 and this is his breakout season with Ajax.

Incidentally I think we are building ourselves to be in pole position when players like him become available.

We're building a squad with the age profile that we could realistically go several seasons without signing anyone, and that means being in a position to jump in and get those players who might be a gamble, or need developing because the needs of the squad aren't immediate.

When you're no longer planning for next season, you can get some amazing deals, like Real Madrid have done with Ceballos and Asensio, or Bayern with Corentin Tolisso or Coman a few years back.

That's when we'll really start to build a long term dynasty, when you're picking up 18/19/20 year olds on the cheap before they make a big move and letting them incubate at City, because unlike United/Chelsea/Liverpool we don't need to urgently upgrade the starting XI.
All good points . City are gradually changing the game by going after younger players .

Are there any reports at all that says that Laporte is keen on the move? And more importantly, why is Bilbao keen on letting a (good/great) defender go mid-season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.