Riyad Mahrez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely with ozil signing a new contract miki from the rags and P-EA today it rankles that Wenker has done the best in this window

Let me start by saying as far as me having inside City transfer info, I am complete KFA.

But, have a feeling there is at least one more twist in this transfer, don’t think Mahrez will let this move go without a fight right to the last hour or so of the transfer window.

Also, how anyone can complain about City’s recent transfer policy is beyond me, we have a fantastic young team who will be added too and will only get better.

We don't set the fee or value. Why would Leicester let him go for £60m when an inferior replacement will cost they same. They should protect their interests you know. Stop having a paddy because we can't bully a club in to accepting an offer. We did the same as a club with Tevez and didn't like Milan tapping him up.

Our transfers follow one pattern.

The press know our target
The press know the player wants to come to City (Sanchez, Mahrez, De Bruyne, Sterling etc.)
City make an initial offer that's often no way near enough but no bidding war as miraculously everyone somehow knows the player only wants City
City sit on the bid for a week or 2 whilst press speculation runs wild re player x only wants City
City then incrementally increase their bids late on until the buying club just want it all to end!

It's done us ok so far but it hasn't worked twice this window.

I'm fine with what Leicester has done, they are in charge of their own interests and can evaluate the risks they are taking as appropriate. I think it's highly risky for them, but that's their choice to make.

I responded to your initially saying we should be concerned about what we've done to them here. I don't agree at all. They are not a completely innocent party and we would not have completely blindsided them here. They're not victims, they just made choices. City should not be afraid of hurting the feelings of others and anyone who has ever negotiated in the business world knows you do not ever hurt someone's feelings offering them 50 million pounds. These are not schoolchildren or inexperienced negotiators, they know the game they are playing.

In terms of our "pattern", we very clearly try to box off players in order to avoid ending up in multi party competitive negotiations. This has probably saved us 10s of millions in various deals over the years as the party we are negotiating with cannot bring another group in to drive up the price. It simplifies the negotiation for us as it becomes more a matter of getting to a valuation than it does trying to intuit whether other competitors are offering more or less.

when viewed through that lens, the most important thing we need is to be able to walk away from deals. I don't think either of the recent cases are examples ,but it would honestly be intelligent for City to create negotiations they intend to walk away from very publicly just to ensure that when we enter these discussions where it's only a matter of fee we can put pressure on the other party via the threat of walking away. The second you lose that you lose the negotiation.

Let me start by saying as far as me having inside City transfer info, I am complete KFA.

But, have a feeling there is at least one more twist in this transfer, don’t think Mahrez will let this move go without a fight right to the last hour or so of the transfer window.

Also, how anyone can complain about City’s recent transfer policy is beyond me, we have a fantastic young team who will be added too and will only get better.

compromised on a 30m difference in valuation and get a medical and paperwork done in in the next few hours? think it's done, mate.

Got a feeling you may be right

That is a bit of a shit trick all round. This is why the transfer windows need scrapping all together. The player and the selling club are left all at sea and I certainly wouldn't like us to be on the receiving end of the same situation. I know I might draw criticism, but I really don' think Txiki is to clever in the transfe market.

I agree with you. No idea what Txiki does other than collect a pay check

If we were to liken this to buying a house we appear to have told Leicester that if they suddenly decide to sell their house this afternoon, without any indication it's for sale in the first instance, we were prepared to offer them an amount that we were happy to pay.

Leicester have with this approach obviously decided to think about how much their house is worth and have said well we don't want to sell but if you want to force our hand you will need to offer us a sum we feel we cannot refuse. On hearing that sum, and after having done no favours for how we are perceived to do our business, City have decided it's too much and walked away.

My question with this is why do City appear to no longer think that agreeing an asking price is not best done in private between the clubs?
I don't quite know what you mean by this.
I don't think City have said a word about these negotiations. All the speculation has been in the media.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.