Riyad Mahrez

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Pep's comments it sounded like we tried for Mahrez last summer?

You right mate...thats how I heard it as well. Makes it even more strange why we left it until the last day to go back in for him, when we've had continued interest in the player since the summer, surely we know Leicester would put a premium on the transfer fee as they would have no time to find a replacement.

You right mate...thats how I heard it as well. Makes it even more strange why we left it until the last day to go back in for him, when we've had continued interest in the player since the summer, surely we know Leicester would put a premium on the transfer fee as they would have no time to find a replacement.

Completely agree, it's an odd one considering the Sanchez pursuit as well.

The Foxes have done themselves no favours here. Four windows where he has been denied a move. Whatever is left on his contract is money down the drain. Yer could just imagine Mahrez watching our game last night and thinking how he would thrive in this set up - coach, world class players. operating a system that attacks the opposition goal from the kick off! And Leicester cut off his balls! He's not gonna bust a gut now!
He hasn't been denied a move, nobody has bid current market value. It's as simple as that, we're not here to be a charity case for Man City or for Mahrez. If Roma had bid £45 / £50m in the summer, he'd have gone. As it was they tried to buy him with a £17m starting bid. They never even once offered us close to what they got for Salah. The year before nobody even bid for him. If you'd have bid somewhere close to £75m, you'd have most probably got him. You didn't, so he stays.

We might never get £50m for the bloke but there is more to this than money. It's about not being bullied by players, if we accept what we think is bellow market value just because a player throws a strop, every other player then knows how they get their move, other clubs know they don't have to ever meet our valuation and you get known as a soft touch.

We got stung before being a soft touch, so this is about a club making a stand and saying no more. If that costs us £20m on a Mahrez deal, then so be it. The potential benefits will never be seen, but people can't deny that that money could be made back on future deals when people know you either pay, or get lost. Levy at Spurs has that reputation, people know you pay through the nose when dealing with him and he gets good money for his players.

I have sympathy for Mahrez, it would have been a fantastic move to a great club. But, what's good for us comes first and I'm sick to death of clubs trying to low ball us. £15m bids for Kante, £17m bids for Mahrez an Drinkwater. All from clubs not wanting to pay and trying to get players to do the dirty on us.

He hasn't been denied a move, nobody has bid current market value. It's as simple as that, we're not here to be a charity case for Man City or for Mahrez. If Roma had bid £45 / £50m in the summer, he'd have gone. As it was they tried to buy him with a £17m starting bid. They never even once offered us close to what they got for Salah. The year before nobody even bid for him. If you'd have bid somewhere close to £75m, you'd have most probably got him. You didn't, so he stays.

We might never get £50m for the bloke but there is more to this than money. It's about not being bullied by players, if we accept what we think is bellow market value just because a player throws a strop, every other player then knows how they get their move, other clubs know they don't have to ever meet our valuation and you get known as a soft touch.

We got stung before being a soft touch, so this is about a club making a stand and saying no more. If that costs us £20m on a Mahrez deal, then so be it. The potential benefits will never be seen, but people can't deny that that money could be made back on future deals when people know you either pay, or get lost. Levy at Spurs has that reputation, people know you pay through the nose when dealing with him and he gets good money for his players.

I have sympathy for Mahrez, it would have been a fantastic move to a great club. But, what's good for us comes first and I'm sick to death of clubs trying to low ball us. £15m bids for Kante, £17m bids for Mahrez an Drinkwater. All from clubs not wanting to pay and trying to get players to do the dirty on us.

There has to be an element of goodwill towards Mahrez on Leicester’s behalf though surely? He cost £350k and won you the Premier League – pretty much the greatest triumph in British football history. And yet you’re asking £90 million for him, a figure which nobody is ever going to pay.

A good piece generally here Foxedup, but I don't think a 55m bid was low balling and don't forget we've had it the other way around for the last few years where we've been fleeced on a number of our purchases. I think the stand that both clubs took in this instance is commendable.

Out of interest, what do you think will happen in the summer?

sure it was reported yesterday we asked after walking from sanchez deal so not last day dash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.