Prog rock

Great choice, been a fan since Script, follow both Fish and Marillion on tour, last Fish gig was a reprise of Misplaced Childhood, not got the range he used to have, I left feeling older than I should

First saw them on OGWT ( Forgotten sons I think....), Fish all grease painted in green, thought it was Gabriel for a second or two. View from a hill was, in my mind, his best solo effort.

Grew up listening the likes of Genesis, and the solo-albums of the members Peter Gabriel, Anthony Philips, Steve Hackett, Mike Rutherford, Tony Banks and even the early Phil Collins albums. Also Camel, Pink Floyd, Yes, Jethro Tull, Marillion etc. Listening to these bands brings back a lot of memories.

I do however like to bring foreword Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson on here. And Frost*.

So true. The first three albums they put out were great start to finish.

I tell my friends all the time that Ty Tabor invented the 90's Grunge Guitar Tone. They don't believe me. Fuckin' Plebs! Ha Ha. :)

Edit. Can't believe nobody has mentioned Todd Rundgren Utopia!

Last edited:
Not a prog fan but as a more mainstream rock fan, I'm a big Rush fan, but how do you proggers rate them.

Top 10.

1. Yes
2. Genesis
3. King Crimson
4. Pink Floyd
5. Emerson Lake and Palmer
6. Jethro Tull
7. Focus
8. Camel
9. Gentle Giant
10. Marillion

Porcupine Tree and Steven Wilson on here. And Frost*.

As a teen, I went along with mates seeing Prog bands like Genesis, Yes, ELP, Gentle Giant, Barclay James Harvest, Captain Beefheart. Van der Graaf Generator and Camel to name a few, and to be honest a lot of it left me cold. I prefer the more mainstream side of rock I guess.

However I gave Porcupine Tree a listen purely out of interest of their keyboard player being Richard Barbieri , from Japan who I am a huge fan of ... and was surprised to quite liking what I heard.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.