Worst decision by Peter Swales?

Watch the City! documentary from the time of Mal coming back then John Bond taking over and watch the antics and behaviour of Swales. Says all you need to know.

Yes I agree. It's taken us a long time to rebuild, but hey what a way to do it. From the depths of despair to being the best team in the land. Maybe not quite the world...yet...lol. Never a dull moment being a blue. Makes it even better.

Maybe but I could have lived happily without all those decades of being that ‘Typical City’ club.

Lots of issues with Swales... his treatment of Lake was appalling - so 'cheap'; typical second-rate businessman antics, was a glorified used TV salesman given control of one the premier League clubs at that time and brought over 2 decades to almost utter ruin. It was ironic that he passed away as we slid out of the Premier League in 1996, I think he died the Monday after, I'm not sure, but either way it was poetic really... that being the start of a period of woeful disaster culminating in relegation to Div 2 but arguably starting the day he took over and certainly hastened by his stubborn and selfish refusal to sell his shares in a calm and dignified manner to Lee when it was clear to all that his time was up and new blood/money was desperately needed - all the bs about him loving the club is tosh, sorry, but he loved himself, his ego and his wallet. I'll grant him an RIP as I would most people who have passed on, but I have no respect for his time as chairman.

If Prestwich Blue ever writes a book about the shitshow of Peter Swales, I would buy the fuck out of that book.
I’m flattered but I’m not sure you’d ever get to the truth nor could you really do it without access to Swales himself or something like diaries he kept.

One example is the story of his original involvement, where he claimed to have approached Messrs Rose & Humphries in a pub in Hale. Sidney Rose told me that definitely wasn’t true as he thought Swales was the one approached but couldn’t recall how that came about exactly. Then there’s the story about bringing Allison back, where Swales said it wasn’t his choice but he was forced into it by the other directors. Now I don’t believe that for one moment, given the level of control Swales appeared to exercise.

Swales was the master of deflection and muddying the waters and I suspect he even deluded himself into believing things happened the way he would have liked them to, rather than how they actually did happen. if you can’t place any reliance on whatever the key figure said then I suspect you’d be struggling.

The sight of him flicking a match book discussing the prospect of hiring Jonny bond and listening to the directors basically say what ever the chairman wants I will back him, made me puke, another was stated by Jonny bond that he was ignored by the directors when he failed to win the 81 cup final was ridiculous, but for me his part in the treatment of joe mercer’s departure was his biggest catastrophe, plenty of the should have bought him but decided not to because he wasn’t a swales target must have been a managers nigtmare

Sacking Peter Reid was a stupid decision and ultimately lead to his downfall. Funny thing is Franny's decision to sack Bryan Horton was an even more stupid mistake.

Swales was a man with an overinflated opinion of his ability to run a club even more so when the FA came calling.

Brining Mal back and being a twat with Book when we were the competing at the tip of tge league was a complete fuck up move.

But the man himself cannot solely be blamed for what went on in the 80's, Bowler and Greenhalls backed him and helped keep him in power long after he should have gone.

The **** cost me my earliest years going city as I was 2 when he sacked book and that did it for my dad who refused to go for a couple of years until "that knob" as he put it left.

eventually me and my brother changed his mind thankfully.

His actions towards Lake make me think the the man was a ****, but looking back, I have some great memories of going to City in those days and when watching his weetabix wig and cuban heeled self in old vids can kinda laugh at the man more tgan despise him.

Franny Lee on the other hand,

Fuckin Alan Ball
The New Kippax
The Beswick Buzzard Badge
and especially the way he was a bastard with Bell.

really makes me dislike him as much if not more than Swales in the chairman stakes.

franny lee did more to ruin the club.he even kept money in our youth system cos he knew it would be worth a bit in the future.
as much as you hate swales,i fucking hate franny lee.
Please explain how he kept money in the youth system The club was close to bankrupt Swales didn’t have a pot to piss in he couldn’t borrow any more money he had s major problem with funds to develope the Kippax he admitted as much himself when I met him

Please explain how he kept money in the youth system The club was close to bankrupt Swales didn’t have a pot to piss in he couldn’t borrow any more money he had s major problem with funds to develope the Kippax he admitted as much himself when I met him
when he sold the club,he kept a percentage in the youth set up. come out of his own fat mouth that.and he said he kept it for profit,couldn't help himself.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.