Mary D's

There are several mate ... but as said, while they would make £££££'s on matchdays, it's the rest of the time they would struggle to stay afloat. People just don't use local boozers like they used to do.

i think it just depends where you are tbf. where i live the pubs are quite busy, with new ones opening up. from what I've seen most just get sold on for housing though. i went in the kippax pub ? a few times before and that was alright. a wetherspoons would do me tbh haha.i suppose we have the city centre pubs as well.

i dont think its just people not using them. i think the police and club would rather they weren't there.

When it’s gone you’ll miss it

Not bloody likely, I practicaly grew up on the estate behind it, as my Grandparents lived there and my Uncle had a flat opposite.

Went in it since I was a baby when it was Bradford Labour club and fine old place, even before we moved to eastlands and it was just Mary D's beamish bar it had turned from well kept lovely social club/pub into a dive.

I gave it a couple of few year when we moved, but not been in for 5 years as the beer got more shite and expensive.

Same goes for the Vic and Crossroads both were decent local boozers that died a death and even City rocking up couldn't save them.

Townley for me or town then a Joe.

It does a job and is popular with some fans, but it ain't the kinda pub I want to drink in pre match anymore, maybe I am just getting old.

Last edited:
i think it just depends where you are tbf. where i live the pubs are quite busy, with new ones opening up. from what I've seen most just get sold on for housing though. i went in the kippax pub ? a few times before and that was alright. a wetherspoons would do me tbh haha.i suppose we have the city centre pubs as well.

i dont think its just people not using them. i think the police and club would rather they weren't there.

Assuming you live in Cheadle? Well, yeah, places like that, and Didsbury, Withington etc do tend to retain many pubs, especially in or around the high streets, and new ones like the current trend for micro pubs are boosting many. (My missus's old company Greene King even opened a new build in nearby Gatley, The Flying Horse not too long ago) .... but in areas like Beswick, most all locals have gone, and I don't see them coming back. My old area Failsworth, has one pub on the main Oldham Rd (The Lamb) between there and town ..... was so many once. It's a trend in many places, and it's only town/city centres where they tend to do well ..... but I do agree the police and council would discourage any more near the stadium. Luckily town is pretty close.

The Kippax ..... Me and my dad loved seeing it renamed that, and all the City stuff in and on it, as back in the day, it was my Grandad's local, and as a staunch rag, he would be spinning :D

141l3ja.jpg

Assuming you live in Cheadle? Well, yeah, places like that, and Didsbury, Withington etc do tend to retain many pubs, especially in or around the high streets, and new ones like the current trend for micro pubs are boosting many. (My missus's old company Greene King even opened a new build in nearby Gatley, The Flying Horse not too long ago) .... but in areas like Beswick, most all locals have gone, and I don't see them coming back. My old area Failsworth, has one pub on the main Oldham Rd (The Lamb) between there and town ..... was so many once. It's a trend in many places, and it's only town/city centres where they tend to do well ..... but I do agree the police and council would discourage any more near the stadium. Luckily town is pretty close.

The Kippax ..... Me and my dad loved seeing it renamed that, and all the City stuff in and on it, as back in the day, it was my Grandad's local, and as a staunch rag, he would be spinning :D

Do you know if The Forresters is still open on Oldham Rd, my Dad and Grandad used to drink in there! The Mare and Fowl on Ashton Rd was another more local haunt of theirs :-)

Do you know if The Forresters is still open on Oldham Rd, my Dad and Grandad used to drink in there! The Mare and Fowl on Ashton Rd was another more local haunt of theirs :-)

Foresters on Oldham Road, Failsworth, (opposite Brown Cow) has closed. As has the Brown Cow, nearby Black Horse, Guido and Halfway House have long gone too ... Mare and Foal survives still though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.