Kids’ football issue - advice needed

And if the weather is bad ,isn't keen on going on ...
b21e6928506ff022f04d0ea81bcf0f84.jpg

i assume this coach has done the safeguarding children course but doesn't seem to have taken everything on board.
Your advice was correct and should have been followed.If this happened at my club I would expect the parent to contact the welfare officer for an explanation.
Constant lateness can disrupt sessions and also match days when you are about to kick off and another player appears.
It is the parent and only the parents fault and she is the one who needs educating. She may have work issues etc but if explained then can be taken into account.
The coach was wrong and needs further education as to how to handle situations like this particularly for this age group.
Its fun its children playing football with their friends and making new friends .
It is not as easy as getting parents to help as they need a DBS check as minimum and ideally safeguarding children and Emergency first aid course according to FA guidelines.
As for the subs ours are £15 per month throughout the year set up on standing order this is the same for under 5s to open age. Its the cheapest rate for child minding I have ever seen and the children are learning and enjoying themselves.

Over two pages and no one has asked for a picture of the mum.....standards are dropping on this site.
I can't make my mind up without seeing what she looks like....

I disagree with those that said the discipline starts at the U11 age and if's all about fun. It should be fun but you still need boundaries or you get piss takers.
But the coach should set his standards out at the beginning - in fact the club as a whole in all of their ages should have a set of standards and behaviour expected. If I was a coach and a kid is persistently late then he will be on the bench. The coach needs to chat with mum and ask what the issue is. If it is she is working etc then can another parent drop him off?
If the kid isn't up for it and is being dragged there then maybe she needs to realise her lad doesn't want to be there. The coach is running the team not the mum.
The subs issue won't be down to the coach (or shouldn't be) but the club secretary.
The OP should go to the club secretary and get him or her to act as a mediator between the coach and mum or parents in a way that will support the aims of the club and for the benefit of the club not the individuals concerned. .

You have to have standards expected. I'd be pissed off if my kid was kept out of a team by some other kid who was always late, played when he felt like it and who's mum was undermining the coach. Why should my lad turn up on time if that was the case. Why should anyone turn up on time?

I coach U8s and recognise this situation as I’m sure lots of other coaches do from all age groups.

Lots of good points made but there is an easier way for the coach, club, kids and parents. I’m very lucky to be involved with a club that has an ethos of “kids 1st” and a head coach who’s top drawer.

At the start of last season our club introduced a Code Of Conduct for the Kids, one also for the parents and another one for the coaches. It was put together through discussions with all relevant parties and therefore no one who breaks the Code of Conduct can complain as they had a achance to contribute to it and signed it before a ball was kicked.
It obviously includes things like lateness, contacting coaches after a game and a load of other stuff too.

It works for us.

But you’ll still get the piss takers, as always.

Some great advice here as I knew there would be.

The coach has acknowledged his mistake but there’s a feeling amongst a few parents that he has broken trust.

A few want him replacing and others say let him learn. What would people advise about the coach rather than the parent or child now?

I made a mistake and asked my head coach for advice. I was moaning about some of our team not being as capable as their teammates due to lack of agility and application(basically being lazy).

My head coach said I was looking at what the team needed not what the individuals needed. He was 100% right.
I changed my focus and helped the kids individually get a little bit better. Hey ho....the team improved.

Does that make sense ? I think he might be doing that as has been alluded to earlier in the thread.

There is some decent advice on here and there is also some very naive

I was a parent volunteer for a sport organisation and I was asked and attended a "Team Manager's Course" so the club would retain it's accreditation
The first thing is that no one can offer the lad a lift to training. The boy's parent must ask

I would also like to offer the coach a bit of support
He's volunteering his time to coach and he and all the other members of the group are making a real effort to get there on time
It's not fair on the rest of the group and the coach if this lad is constantly late
Yes the coach may have been hasty and now regrets his decision, but cut him a bit of slack. He just sounds a little over enthusiastic

Some great advice here as I knew there would be.

The coach has acknowledged his mistake but there’s a feeling amongst a few parents that he has broken trust.

A few want him replacing and others say let him learn. What would people advise about the coach rather than the parent or child now?
Mark Hughes is available......

This is where the club need to step in to avoid a witch hunt or splitting the club in two. Rather than have parents chatting behind others backs etc, get the parents and the coach and club officials together for a constructive meeting. The last thing anyone needs is a coach leaving mid-season, what if the club can't get one, well then the parents have no team for their kids to play in. The coach has held his hands up, it's not as if he is stubbornly refusing to admit he made an error of judgement. The parents need to accept that and work together with the coach to get the 'whole team' working as a unit in support of their kids enjoying themselves playing football. Ask the mother if a member of her family is willing to run the team - when she gives you a ''what the fuck, hell no'' response, there is her answer..... if she won't do it herself, let the one bloke there who loves doing it for fuck all other than enjoyment do it.

Last edited:
You’re right Dickie. We learned on level 1 that giving kids a lift is dodgy unless asked.

The thing that makes me a bit iffy about the coach is a minor thing but just got me thinking he was too cock sure since day 1.

His step lad plays in my team. He joined at the same time as the coach took over the younger team. We play in a Wednesday night 5 a-side league at a venue called Soccer Sensations. The Dad asked me could I try to arrange my fixture times so they didn’t clash with his teams so he could watch both. I didn’t see it as a problem so said i’d ask Soccer Sensations if they could give me a set kick off time. He replied saying he’d already asked them on my behalf.

Like I say, not a big thing but just got my goat. He seems to think he has the authority to make decisions for people regardless of advice or set ways.

One coach is threatening to quit if this bloke is allowed to continue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.