prem league winter break

The performance of the players suffer, and the games aren't as exciting because the players are basically knackered and run into the ground.

Fans are all partied out, skint and many can't be arsed going. Plenty of other things to do during that period of the season.

I'm for it in theory, but the cynic in me thinks clubs including our own will end up playing nonsensical friendlies in UAE/China/USA, and there will be a question of how much of a break the players actually get.

FA Cup replays would be the casualty I reckon, which is a shame for the lower and non league sides as they can be quite the money spinner.

There have been too many games this season and its costing a lot of money to get to games. A couple of week off games in January would be a welcome relief at an expensive time of year for many families.

I think it's needed to give English clubs a better chance in European competition, and to improve the national team's prospects. Would like to keep the traditional Boxing Day fixture though, so maybe have the first few weeks in January off. Definitely think the League Cup needs restructuring, as others have said.

I'm for it in theory, but the cynic in me thinks clubs including our own will end up playing nonsensical friendlies in UAE/China/USA, and there will be a question of how much of a break the players actually get.

FA Cup replays would be the casualty I reckon, which is a shame for the lower and non league sides as they can be quite the money spinner.

There have been too many games this season and its costing a lot of money to get to games. A couple of week off games in January would be a welcome relief at an expensive time of year for many families.
Agree with many comments, one off semi for League Cup and no FA Cup replays and extend the season by a week as Spain and Italy always finish their season around a week after ours has finished .

As for the FA Cup money spinner for smaller teams. Just lump all the money from TV and gate receipts for the 3rd round into one big pot, share the cash equally between all Clubs left in the competition, would guarantee a decent pay day for all non premier league clubs and I'm sure clubs like ours would not object .

There's no reason they couldn't change the rules to still give lower and non-league sides a big chunk of money.

Split gate profits & TV money 50/50 in each game for example. Drawing a big club away would still provide a big pay day - also IMO it would be better for the competition. Instead of a shock result being rewarded with a replay the smaller team almost always loses, they could have a penalty shootout and have a legitimate chance of knocking a giant out.

Not sure how it would work numbers wise, but could perhaps have the league cup just for all league teams that are not playing in Europe that season? It is still a chance to win a trophy for the lesser premier league teams so I don't think it should be without the whole of the premier league.

If clubs want to do that and run their players into the ground then so be it. Everyone else will get a rest and those teams will be at a major disadvantage for their money grabbing.

It needs a complete review of the footballing calendar to be honest but that wont happen, they will just fiddle around the edges by trying to shoehorn in a break just after the FA cup 3rd round

For me the following needs looking at

- Do we need 2 cup competitions? Why not scrap the league cup and make the FA cup a midweek competition
- International breaks are the unwelcome distraction that come around three or four times during the season. Why not move them all to a four week qualifying tournament at the end of the season ?

Either the League Cup has to go or the league has to become 18 teams.

It would be pointless removing one of the League Cup semi-finals because even if you are not in it the season still feels a slog. The same applies to a team that doesn’t have FA Cup replays.

The killer is that period from mid-December to New Years Day. That is what destroys teams, and the quality of the football from an entertainment point of view suffers because of it.

A winter break will just ensure a mid-season promotional tour for the top sides in Asia or the US.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.