Homeless

There's an argument that giving food still enables rough sleepers to stay on the streets rather than seek help from organisations that can actually help them address their wider issues that are keeping them on the streets. All in all, the best use of one's money is to support a charity like Crisis. That said, giving money or food or whatever you choose to a homeless is a compassionate act so it'd be a bit harsh to criticise somebody for doing that even if you believe it to be a little misguided.

Go into the habit of grabbing a pizza deal at Asda before games.. there’s been a homeless guy around the store entrance of late in some shitty weather.. gave him a couple of pieces of pizza we had left last game and he was really grateful.. said he hopes we won the game.. I agree with the other poster who said if they want food i’m happy to oblige... I can’t imagine spending nights out with the weather we have at present..

We had no boiler and heat or hot water for a week last week but at least we had a roof over our heads..

Nothing to add but this wonderful story from the U S of A

The search for Jackie Wallace

jackie-wallace---fumbles-and-recoveries-e4592a158522769c.jpg

Best way to help the homeless is by supporting a homeless charity, even a local one. They can really make a little go a long way.

Also, charities tend to provide support to homeless people in groups, thus helping to build connections and friendships between homeless people that can be helpful in getting them back on their feet or even just helping them to cope. They also help to keep homeless people safe.

Giving money to a homeless person, whilst being generous on your part, won't help to break their isolation in the way that charity support can. Plus, homeless people are prime targets for getting mugged (even with what little cash they have).

Great post imo. This is what i do now, if i could afford more i would but i do give what i can.

I'm sure its a very fine line between relative prosperity and the streets. Years ago (mid/late 80's) I lived in london and used to spend a lot of time skateboarding at the south bank, which was also "cardboard city" at the time. For a few weeks there was a couple there tucked in to their packing cases. The chap was suited up, the girl in smart clothes. I feel dreadful still now that I didn't speak to them and see what their story was. Late rent? lost job? stolen suit? depression? drugs and alcohol? Most of the other rough sleepers just used to throw stones on the paving to make the skaters stop being noisy. Probably should have spoken to all of them, not just the few that were actually friendly - and probably bad that the "decent-looking" ones are the ones that I still remember now...

Some homeless people are on the streets due to a mental illness. Many years ago there were places that people with such illnesses could go to and be looked after, but they were closed down.

We are probably all two paydays from being broke .... can't pay the mortgage .... from there its a short step to losing everything.... if you're not happy giving cash ask them if they need some food or drink (not alcohol)

the worst thing is to do nothing...... every time some one stops to talk to a homeless person....and buy them a drink or a sandwich ,, 20 people who normally walk buy will question themselves why they do ...... one will change their behaviour

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.