6 February, 1958.

Whilst I do not wish to spoil anyones tribute to the people that died I wish to state my disgust at this memorial day. Manchester United ignored the anniversary for many many years. It was only when a commercial opportunity was seen by United did it become an annual event and all they do is remember the footballers, no one seems to care that reporters, airline crew and others that died. I was born in 58 at least one of the players is buried in my local church yard. I grew up with a Manchester United that didn't care so please don't tell me that they care now. If this post offends ask a Manchester United fan who Frank Swift was, the majority don't know. Ask them how many died, they wont know but they will remember to use this tragedy to slag City fans off with their faux outrage.
And they milk the tragedy for all its worth

Last edited:
  • All my family are Blues with my Dad being a massive City fan. He didn't like utd but he always said Duncan Edwards was the best footballer he'd ever seen. He was destined to be an absolute legend
    Remember Harry Gregg too. He carried others out of the wreck & ran back into the plane to rescue a kid. Thats a man to admire whatever colour the shirt
    respect for manchester

When people lose their lives in tragic circumstances football becomes so insignificant. My thoughts are with those we lost and their loved ones.

A terrible accident that was a tragedy for all those directly and indirectly involved.

Manchester and Munich have both suffered worse tragedies during their histories. No one persons life is worth more than any others.

And they milk the tragedy for all its worth

This is from Wikipedia and sums it up for me...........
In late 1997, John Doherty (a former United player who had left the club shortly before the disaster)[83] approached club chairman Martin Edwards on behalf of the Manchester United Former Players' Association to request a testimonial for those victims of the Munich disaster – both the survivors and the dependants of the ones who were lost.[84] Edwards was hesitant, but a benefit match was eventually sanctioned for a date as close to the 40th anniversary of the disaster as possible. Red Star Belgrade and Bayern Munich were touted as possible opponents for the match, and fans purchased tickets without the opponents even having been decided.[85]

However, in the midst of the preparations, former United player Eric Cantona, who had retired from football to pursue a career in film in the summer of 1997, expressed an interest in returning to Manchester United for a farewell match. Edwards took the opportunity to combine the two events into one.[86] Due to Cantona's acting career, his schedule meant that he would not be available in February and the match was moved to 18 August, with the opposition to be a European XI chosen by Cantona himself. Martin Edwards was criticised for turning the match into a publicity stunt, while Elizabeth Wood, the divorced wife of Munich survivor Ray Wood, compared the treatment of the Munich victims to that of "dancing bears at the circus". Nevertheless, the match earned £47,000 for each of the victims' families, while Eric Cantona recouped over £90,000 in expenses directly from the testimonial fund, rather than from the club.[87] The club has also received criticism from some quarters for its poor treatment of the survivors: Johnny Berry was forced to leave the flat he rented from the club to make way for a new player.[88]

I can recall the day it happened when the report came on the radio news. Up to then my sympathies lay with United rather than City. Not that I had ever been to a match as I was barely out of Primary School. I did listen to the radio commentaries on United’s European Cup matches.

This event started the media love-in with United. The National Papers had London and Nanchester based sports journalist back then as well as printing in both locations. Most, if not all, of the Manchester contingent and a fair proportion of their London counterparts, took it on themselves to write wall-to-wall puff pieces on United.

It was largely in reaction to this sycophancy that I transferred my support to City when in Secondary School. I got fed of of having United rammed down my throat by the likes of David Coleman.

I recall rèading somewhere that Matt Busby was accused of bullying the pilot into attempting the take-off at Munich against his better judgement. I can’t remember when or where this was?

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.