Did anybody watch the SpaceX launch today?

Not sure I agree with this to be honest. As an aside, the Shuttle glides pretty well, albeit at pretty high speed to give it enough lift, but it lands pretty smoothly doesn't it. Flying bricks can't land smoothly at any speed.

But my main point is that we can use conventional jet engines to take aircraft up to about 100,000 ft. That's about 30 km up. Lowest earth orbit is about 100 km, so 30 km is a substantial part of the way there. Main engine cut off is typically at about 80km, BTW. I would imagine a HUGE amount of energy - i.e. fuel - could be saved by piggy-backing on a plane up to the 30km mark and then letting the rockets take over. Getting to 30km using a plane is incredibly "cheap" energy-wise since it relies on aerodynamic lift rather than simply being pushed up in to the air.
You should write to Musk and NASA and tell them they’re doing it wrong.

Aside from the truly amazing science and engineering, it moments like this that inspire the next generation of scientists and engineers.

It would be impressive if it wasn't such a fake. I mean, who would really be called Elon Musk? It's an anagram of Suk Melon.

You should write to Musk and NASA and tell them they’re doing it wrong.
Thanks for the tip.

Shoving a rocket up in the air is technically a lot more simple than flying half the way up and then taking off from there. I suspect that has something to do with it.

Thanks for the tip.

Shoving a rocket up in the air is technically a lot more simple than flying half the way up and then taking off from there. I suspect that has something to do with it.
The poster you disagreed with already explained it to you.

You need a rocket to enter lower earth orbit, so strapping it on to a plane for 1/3 of the trip saves you 1/2 of the fuel cost $100,000 and not a lot else. You’d still need the expensive part (the rocket). And now you’d need a plane.

Being an old fart remember watching the moon landing at school as a kid and that yesterday got me just as excited thinking about the possibilities of what mankind will achieve in the future only question is whether I will be around to see it

The poster you disagreed with already explained it to you.

You need a rocket to enter lower earth orbit, so strapping it on to a plane for 1/3 of the trip saves you 1/2 of the fuel cost $100,000 and not a lot else. You’d still need the expensive part (the rocket). And now you’d need a plane.
SWP, do I try to give you financial advice? This is not your domain, but it is mine. I used to be a Physicist and fully understand the energy costs.

Have a Google about Hotol, Reaction Engines, Sabre and Skylon.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.