Homeless

This is a sad reality to. Some guy outside the 192 spar stop in town was in that 24/7 cafe that used to be outside Piccadilly. I had missed the last 192 so went to sit in there to wait for the next one in 2 hours. The bloke poured out about 400 quid at the absolute least, this was around 2001. He was actually cool to talk to and he openly said that was what he got from 8pm to 4am that night. I saw him another time going into a flat in deansgate with his tesco bag and bottle of vino in hand, swipes his vod for the modern expensive high rise flats and off he goes.

I see that and then look at those old fellas robbing that bank and think "good fucking effort lads". Let us not be shy here, nowt in those boxes was likely to be legit anyway

Hatton Garden?

The age of them fellas made me think they were a bit daft though. Almost did it because they fancied it.

I read once that a professional beggar in Birmingham made £600 a day over the Xmas period.

Shame for the genuine ones though. It’s a tough life. No wonder most of em are drinking all day or spiced up. I think I would be.

Mental illness is grim. I’ve had my moments and seen it in the family too. It’s horrible. A lot of doctors don’t deal with it properly either.

I personally don’t think most people are two paydays away from homelessness, mainly because most people have families and friends that would bail them out/help them. I know from experience though that you are only a day away from mental health problems regardless of your situation.

Last edited:
Homeless charities can’t even agree as to whether you should give them anything.

The Telegraph did an article with quotes from several. The Salvation Army said not to give them anything and instead support a registered charity, as they’ll never get out the cycle if the public support them as an individual, they essentially won’t seek proper help if they have regular income. Then one said to give them money, food whatever to help get them through that day. Finally another said to just offer food and a soft drink but not money to use on booze or drugs.

It’s a predicament and a serious one in what is becoming a very dirty city in Manchester. I’ve lived in the city centre for a number of years now and whilst some parts are improving, homelessness has more than tripled (visually) and market street especially has become unbearable.

Read an article a few weeks ago about a mother who's son ended up on the streets, She begged people to not give him money, food or clothing.
She said even though people were doing it out of kindness, all it was doing was prolonging the inevitable, money would just feed his habit, and food/warm clothing would just keep him alive a bit longer to keep feeding his addiction.
She begged him to come back home and let her help him kick the drugs but he just kept rejecting it.

A large majority of homeless people don't want any help, they just want something that'll help feed their addiction.
It's sad really walking past homeless people in town knowing (especially during this time of year) that at some point they'll end up dead in a few weeks/months.

Do they not have families? I understand if they were in the care system or are immigrants but we’d never allow anyone in ours to live like that.

In our old houseshare, the gaffer’s brother was on the sofa until someone moved out to free up a room. His wife had kicked him out...

How the fuck does something like that post even enter your head to type.

Fuckin shocking.

Little more than a bad taste joke.

A known poster from here was homeless in London and was in a shelter in days. Friends on Facebook were offering to put him up and he resisted saying it would harm his rehousing bid. Understand he is housed now.

Hatton Garden?

The age of them fellas made me think they were a bit daft though. Almost did it because they fancied it.

I read once that a professional beggar in Birmingham made £600 a day over the Xmas period.

Shame for the genuine ones though. It’s a tough life. No wonder most of em are drinking all day or spiced up. I think I would be.

Mental illness is grim. I’ve had my moments and seen it in the family too. It’s horrible. A lot of doctors don’t deal with it properly either.

I personally don’t think most people are two paydays away from homelessness, mainly because most people have families and friends that would bail them out/help them. I know from experience though that you are only a day away from mental health problems regardless of your situation.

It is a shame for the genuine ones indeed, they have no choice. It is a bit galling to see the dude you give cash to have a better pair of trainers than you can afford. Apparently he used to work at nights cleaning the city up with the sweeper crews. He said he got more grief of pissed up people doing that than just begging and 3x as much money. So for having the balls to sit out like that i have to say fair play even if it is not very honourable.

The mental illness stuff is desperately sad, the genuine ones usually have the dejected look of someone with nothing more to give without help.

When i lived in the states i asked why there were so many window washers at cross roads or "intersections". Apparently all the states mental health institutes were simply stopped. There was no plan to rehome the mentally disturbed people, they just kicked em out on their arse. They were nice blokes down on their luck, they always approched the car with a smile and i was happy to give them 20 bucks. I like to think they all got it together and kicked on in life but many will not have sadly.

Do they not have families? I understand if they were in the care system or are immigrants but we’d never allow anyone in ours to live like that.

In our old houseshare, the gaffer’s brother was on the sofa until someone moved out to free up a room. His wife had kicked him out...
Mental illness doesn't always allow for the notion of "family."
And it doesn't matter how much their loved ones care or remonstrate with them. I've witnessed it within my own family.
Mental illness is something that makes your nearest and dearest become almost unreachable.

Every single homeless person is mentally ill? Some are ex-squaddies who never adjusted to civvy street etc. I know a few who were homeless at some point in their life and had just fallen on hard times. They’d sofa surf or sleep rough in places until they got back straight.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.