Northern Soul

I had no idea you were a Soulie mate. I’ve got dozens of old NS and Motown records. Love ‘em to bits. I was too young to have been involved at the time though, and I wouldn’t have swapped the music of my teenage years (77 to 83) for all the tea in China anyway. Punk, mod revival, Two Tone, new wave, the birth of indie, and New Romanticism all crammed into 6 years ,and reggae and disco at their peak. Revolutionary musical times......
Spot on. Similar times for me, loved it all. Listen to Northern Soul and you can see where Paul Weller got much of his inspiration from?

The problem with the NS scene these days is that its basically a social club for the over 50's.
People who had no interest in soul music, never mind NS, are now lapping up gigs put on by greedy promoters that are in it for the moolah. Oh and everyone is a DJ too.
I should know I've been on the soul scene since 1970.
I stopped going a few years back due to hearing the same fucking tunes all the time. Some got stuck in a time warp back in the 70's. Some are stuck now.
I always said the scene would become just like the Rock n Roll scene and I've been proved right. There are some good night's to be found but you have to go underground, back to its roots really.

Spot on. Similar times for me, loved it all. Listen to Northern Soul and you can see where Paul Weller got much of his inspiration from?

Yeh, Weller was a right magpie. Ripping off the Beatles’ “Taxman” on “Start” was the obvious one, but have a listen to Martha and the Vandellas “I’m ready for love” for a carbon copy of the intro to “Town called Malice”. Shameless!

I had no idea you were a Soulie mate. I’ve got dozens of old NS and Motown records. Love ‘em to bits. I was too young to have been involved at the time though, and I wouldn’t have swapped the music of my teenage years (77 to 83) for all the tea in China anyway. Punk, mod revival, Two Tone, new wave, the birth of indie, and New Romanticism all crammed into 6 years ,and reggae and disco at their peak. Revolutionary musical times......
The list of music genre you just listed is quite incredible given the time span, the most important time in music? Got tò be up there?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.