World Stock Markets

Yeah but you only draw what you need and if you are retiring next year then you’d have moved 50% minimum into bond funds anyway.

You’d then draw off them (and they are all up as they always are during periods of volatility) and leave the remainder invested.

No one (should) buy(s) an annuity any more anyway as I state above.

So to recap, if you were about to retire then you shouldn’t and wouldn’t be remotely affected now any more than someone retiring in ten or fifteen years.

Yeah, annuities are shit mate and as you say since pensions freedom came in I can't see how they can be a preferred choice for anyone really. I was thinking more of the 25% tax-free lump sum for anyone who has a private pension and was planning on drawing it down now and had budgeted for a specific time to get that 25% - if the markets today were where they were a couple of weeks ago their 25% on a pot of £500,000 would probably be worth £6000-£7000 more than where the markets are now.

Yeah, annuities are shit mate and as you say since pensions freedom came in I can't see how they can be a preferred choice for anyone really. I was thinking more of the 25% tax-free lump sum for anyone who has a private pension and was specifically planning on drawing it down now and had budgeted for a specific time to get that 25% - if the markets today were where they were a couple of weeks ago their 25% on a pot of £500,000 would probably be worth £6000-£7000 more than where the markets are now.
No they wouldn’t mate.

Most of their pot would be in bonds if they were retiring and thus their total pot would be up more now (due to bond funds doing well thanks due to the volatility) than if the equity markets were up the usual half percent in Feb 2018.

Added this to me previous post as you were replying:

Obviously if people are wholly invested in equities and retiring very soon then they won’t be happy. But it would be entirely their own fault for not managing their asset classes. A pension is usually a persons largest asset or second after a house and if they don’t review it and manage it then I have zero sympathy for them.

No they wouldn’t mate.

Most of their pot would be in bonds if they were retiring and thus their total pot would be up more now (due to bond funds doing well thanks due to the volatility) than if the equity markets were up the usual half percent in Feb 2018.

Added this to me previous post as you were replying:

Obviously if people are wholly invested in equities and retiring very soon then they won’t be happy. But it would be entirely their own fault for not managing their asset classes. A pension is usually a persons largest asset or second after a house and if they don’t review it and manage it then I have zero sympathy for them.

Gotcha mate. Yeah, that makes perfect sense - moving most of the pot over into bonds as retirement age approaches. I was basing it on the pot being invested in equities.

I've just found this from an article online from May last year though and it implies that de-risking isn't always a good thing:

Lifestyling has become a staple retirement strategy but it was devised in a environment where the main retirement income solution available to savers was an annuity.

The world is a different place now and uncertainty over the government's role in funding care in later life means that people should save for the possibility of footing the cost themselves.

The idea of switching into less riskier assets typically cash and bonds as you approach retirement might sound like a good idea -and in some cases it is. However, these safer assets are not yielding very much at this moment in time. Bond yields, for example, have been fledgling in times of late - particularly following the UK vote to leave the EU. However, savers should always be aware that things change over time.

In saying this, if you can afford not to take risks with your nest egg, then don't.

Saver are strongly encouraged to seek professional financial advise before tweaking their plans.

It is worth noting that the government has a free and impartial service which offers guidance on pension matters.

I've just found this from an article online from May last year though and it implies that de-risking isn't always a good thing:
It’s a great thing for any assets you know you want to spend in the following five years.

It used to be that an entire pension fund would be lifestyled from age 60 as at 65 the fund was used to purchase an annuity.

Now we have drawdown as an option and so it only makes sense to derisk whatever you are likely to spend soon, leaving the remainder to grow and offset the capital erosion from taking drawdown income.

Ps- just read the article. It’s idiotic (no offence) lifestyling is about reducing risk and as such, reducing returns in the knowledge that the money you need liquid is not going to experience volatility.

As we all know from football, just because something is in print doesn’t mean it’s correct.

Last edited:
It’s a great thing for any assets you know you want to spend in the following five years.

It used to be that an entire pension fund would be lifestyled from age 60 as at 65 the fund was used to purchase an annuity.

Now we have drawdown as an option and so it only makes sense to derisk whatever you are likely to spend soon, leaving the remainder to grow and offset the capital erosion from taking drawdown income.

Ps- just read the article. It’s idiotic (no offence) lifestyling is about reducing risk and as such, reducing returns in the knowledge that the money you need liquid is not going to experience volatility.

As we all know from football, just because something is in print doesn’t mean it’s correct.

Yeah, appreciate that mate and you obviously know your onions on this far more than me. In layman's terms though, your second paragraph sums it up perfectly and makes it piss easy to understand for anyone.

On a general note, I think pensions freedom is a fantastic thing as it was all way too restrictive before 2015. I'm just hoping that they don't impose too many restrictions over the coming years. The government has already clamped down on double tax relief. Plus the lifetime allowance has reduced from £1.8m to £1m since 2010 but that's highly unlikely to affect me unless I get seriously lucky with some of my investments.

Yeah, appreciate that mate and you obviously know your onions on this far more than me. In layman's terms though, your second paragraph sums it up perfectly and makes it piss easy to understand for anyone.

On a general note, I think pensions freedom is a fantastic thing as it was all way too restrictive before 2015. I'm just hoping that they don't impose too many restrictions over the coming years. The government has already clamped down on double tax relief. Plus the lifetime allowance has reduced from £1.8m to £1m since 2010 but that's highly unlikely to affect me unless I get seriously lucky with some of my investments.
Give me a shout if you do and there are ways around the £1m lifetime allowance.

Short sellers and automatic sell orders are a big part of this sell off. Happened in Jan-Feb 2016 as a result of Chinese policy too but soon recovered.

“Time in the market” and not “timing the market” is as relevant today as it was 30 years ago when I started in this industry.

Dividend reinvestment is the biggest contributor to any investment over time. The FTSE100 for example is not that much higher than it was in 1999. Add dividends in and it’s a different ball game.

Money is only important when you need it. When invested and not needed for many years, it is just a number.

Short sellers and automatic sell orders are a big part of this sell off. Happened in Jan-Feb 2016 as a result of Chinese policy too but soon recovered.

“Time in the market” and not “timing the market” is as relevant today as it was 30 years ago when I started in this industry.

Dividend reinvestment is the biggest contributor to any investment over time. The FTSE100 for example is not that much higher than it was in 1999. Add dividends in and it’s a different ball game.

Money is only important when you need it. When invested and not needed for many years, it is just a number.
Sage advice.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.