Do you really believe the league is over...?

If we look at it the other way round & we were 16 points behind Guardiola's team, who had actually won more points during their recent 'struggling' period, with a whole bunch of injuries, than we did during the same period, what chances would this forum be giving us, of catching them ?

I was thinking that the other day.

For the last couple of seasons, there was a “We can still win the League” thread, that usually surfaced around February, and basically insisted that if we all believed, and didn't give up, then Leicester, or Chelsea, might suddenly lose 5 in a row.

I wonder how those people view the current situation.

I don't think we were being ironic then, just hopeful
In 2012 we didn't sing it until the end of the Newcastle game in 2014 until we scored the second against the far from happy hammers

And so I do think we should be singing about winning the league now, let's enjoy it for once.

Hopeful? You must have been able to drink more than me on a Saturday then, 4/6 pints of Boddingtons before arriving at Maine Road and 3/4 Greenalls whilst there and dependent on what happened a few Caffreys afterwards never made me that optimistic.

To be fair I think once I started smoking cannibis I never worried about relegation and thought we might win a derby in my lifetime.

I am more than sure we won't get relagated.
So let's not start singing too soon.
Remember purple nose and them rags at Sunderland singing too soon.
Auegro OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
C.T.I.D

Provided he players don't go lazy arsed on us like Chelsea, I can actually see huge room for improvement next season. We could actually go up a level this season when we get a full squad back (we will need to imo to compete in he CL, as we are missing too many great positions & letting in too many daft goals at the moment).

Imo we can't improve on KDB's contribution &I think it's actually unfair to expect him to maintain that level, every season. So he is fully entitled to be 'not quite as good' especially after a world cup. But Sterling, Sane, Jesus & even Aguero, are capable of much more (as we saw 2nd half with Serge yesterday) Laporte, Stones are capable of much more, if Bernard Mendy isn't an improvement on Delph, Zinchenko or Danilo, it would be something of a shock, Bernardo Silva is becoming the terrifying player we saw last season.

Maybe Mahrez (or similar) Fred, plus a host of kids here & loaned out.

One position: Fernadinho. Gundogan can't do his job & Fred can't win headers like he constantly does. That can't be ignored. Someone has to do it, if Fern isn't playing & he can't possibly keep this up at his age.

Sort that, & it just needs the players to continue putting in the same effort (which is tough). But in that case, with Pep running the show we are miles better than our rivals, whoever they sign, imo.
Going lazy arsed is a big deal though. Happened under two title-winning managers. I don't think it will happen under Guardiola or Kevin de Bruyne but it will be a question mark until we see. Next season will also be influenced by how we end this. In CL disappointment, Cup disappointment or a triumphant season. We need an aura around Guardiola.

Another thing that helps immensely is the state of the rest of the Premier league.

I was thinking that the other day.

For the last couple of seasons, there was a “We can still win the League” thread, that usually surfaced around February, and basically insisted that if we all believed, and didn't give up, then Leicester, or Chelsea, might suddenly lose 5 in a row.

I wonder how those people view the current situation.

When we were 8 or 9 points behiind, some of us would be thinking 'ok, IF, we do our own job, there's a small chance Chelsea might lose a couple, then pressure could kick in & you never know'.

12 points ? Nah.

Going lazy arsed is a big deal though. Happened under two title-winning managers. I don't think it will happen under Guardiola or Kevin de Bruyne but it will be a question mark until we see. Next season will also be influenced by how we end this. In CL disappointment, Cup disappointment or a triumphant season. We need an aura around Guardiola.

Another thing that helps immensely is the state of the rest of the Premier league.

We can't assume that the other teams will be anything other than stronger next season. There is no good reason for any of them (apart from Arsenal) not to be better.

But, Utd were supposed to be that team, this season. They are fortunate imo, to be where they are considering the level of many of their performances.

I would actually expect a dip in level from City next season, if we had a 'normal' B list manager. But I think that under this guy, the star players will have to be on their toes, to stay int he team next season & they know it.

As much as I think it's over I will be more confident if we can take minimum 4 points from next 2 games oh a Newcastle taking something today.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.