"Do you consent to being searched?"

They only search over 16s. Always ask my lads their age.

In terms of the search themselves, I always have my phone in my pocket. Only once have I been asked what is in my pocket so what’s the point.

I wish someone would explain to me why a terrorist would stand in a queue to get searched when, with minimal risk, they could simply detonate a device or shoot at the people stood in that same queue.

The extent of damage a device could do within a football stadium to outside is not comparable. The searches, although not perfect, hopefully try and prevent that possibility.

Got asked this for the first time yesterday outside entrance K, suggesting that the club has been acting illegally previously in searching people without explicit consent.

Was everyone else asked the same question?
There are a very small group of people entitled to search without consent if they have due cause (police, airport security, customs officers, anti terrorist units), City Stewards won't be and should be obtaining consent even if it's implied or implicit in the T&Cs upon ticket purchase.

I’d be interested to know what those detectors are designed to detect. I always take a metal hip flask in with me and it’s never been picked up.

The extent of damage a device could do within a football stadium to outside is not comparable. The searches, although not perfect, hopefully try and prevent that possibility.
So you don't think a van load of terrorists pulling up on Ashton New Road and armed with automatic rifles and explosive devices who then opened fire on the hordes of people stood outside, in City Square or in a queue, wouldn't be as bad as someone detonating a device inside the stadium? You're insane if you thing a device inside would cause more carnage than a risk-free attack outside.

And there's another thing. When I flew out to the USA recently, the security devices at the airport detected a paper tissue in my trouser pocket. The hand-held wands at City don't even detect my car and house keys. In fact yesterday, I took my keys out of my pocket and held them in my hand as they put the wand over me. The steward didn't even ask me what I had in my hand, if he even noticed. I could have easily had a grendae under my hat or a pistol taped to my ankle. Neither would have been detected.

So you don't think a van load of terrorists pulling up on Ashton New Road and armed with automatic rifles and explosive devices who then opened fire on the hordes of people stood outside, in City Square or in a queue, wouldn't be as bad as someone detonating a device inside the stadium? You're insane if you thing a device inside would cause more carnage than a risk-free attack outside.

And there's another thing. When I flew out to the USA recently, the security devices at the airport detected a paper tissue in my trouser pocket. The hand-held wands at City don't even detect my car and house keys. In fact yesterday, I took my keys out of my pocket and held them in my hand as they put the wand over me. The steward didn't even ask me what I had in my hand, if he even noticed. I could have easily had a grendae under my hat or a pistol taped to my ankle. Neither would have been detected.
That’s an impressive pistol if it reaches all the way down to your ankle.

Of course the searches won't help if some nutter blows themselves up whilst queuing!

It's the barricades that we don't need.

They don't search people who get on the trams (or buses for that matter).
I am sure that if someone wanted to carry out an attack then they could quite easily do it on the public transport.
As others have said, the queues to be searched are very vulnerable too.

As echoed by others, there are easier targets - tram, bus, queues, Piccadilly concourse, city square, pubs, restaurants. Etc.

For City (and other venues) it’s a no-win situation. You have a large mass of paying people arriving at the same time in confined spaces, who will be packed close together for 2hrs...

If they did no security, they’d be crucified if something did happen. Protestations of ‘lead normal life’ would be pummelled.

If they did full-on security, they’d be crucified by, fans for the increased inconvenience and time, media for being scared and surrendering a way of life.

That’s why it’s a half-way house. It’s got to balance all sides.

The allusion of complete security, with the reality of terrorism that will find a way if their not complete dumb planks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.