Las Vegas - Helicopter Flight to Grand Canyon

One thing I would say after going on one of these trips is that do not be cheap! We went cheap for our tour and it wasn't as good as I hear from others and the helicopter was a rickety old thing that probably saw action in 'Nam
I had a school teacher that was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. The way he explained it to us was a helicopter is 1000 parts all banging around trying to knock the other parts to pieces. Doesn't sound very reassuring.

If anyone is in Arizona and wants to see the canyon there's a train from Sedona that takes you to the canyon and from there a coach tour. It's supposed to be quite good.

a
I had a school teacher that was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. The way he explained it to us was a helicopter is 1000 parts all banging around trying to knock the other parts to pieces. Doesn't sound very reassuring.

If anyone is in Arizona and wants to see the canyon there's a train from Sedona that takes you to the canyon and from there a coach tour. It's supposed to be quite good.
The job of the pilot in a helicopter is basically to stop the centrifugal force of the main rotor from simply spinning it round and round at great speed, which would shake it to pieces.

The Grand Canyon train goes from Williams, which is just west of Flagstaff, not Sedona. Sedona is well worth a visit in itself though for the spectacular Red Rocks.

a

The job of the pilot in a helicopter is basically to stop the centrifugal force of the main rotor from simply spinning it round and round at great speed, which would shake it to pieces.

The Grand Canyon train goes from Williams, which is just west of Flagstaff, not Sedona. Sedona is well worth a visit in itself though for the spectacular Red Rocks.
My mistake about the train. My parents have done it and are taking my children this spring. They stay in Sedona the night before they catch the train. I've always just assumed the train left from there. Thank you.

So essentially, he just dumbed it down for a mob of 14 year old boys that wanted to know what it's like to be an army helicopter pilot. :)

I did this with my mates a couple of years ago. I looked up Grand Canyon helicopter tour crashes on google a couple of days before we were going on the tour and they company that we were flying with had an accident a few years earlier. I was shitting it for the whole trip. Not keen on helicopters at all, if the engine goes you’re fucked. At least a plane can glide. I do the same when flying, I always watch plane crash investigation a couple of days before I’m flying somewhere.

Not strictly true as they can auto-rotate but I grant you, your chances are pretty slim if over the Grand Canyon

Looking at the terrain at the crash site it's amazing that anyone survived, let alone walked away from the wreckage as reported.

_99996124_crash1.jpg

I did it on a small aircraft - 10 seater - some years ago - can't remember the cost but it was cheaper than a helicopter

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.