2019-2022 Premier League TV Rights

Right, so they could easy spread those out to Tues Wed and Thurs you mean?

I thought these packages 2 were being tailored for selling to online providers - Amazon etc - so simulcasting say 5 games on a Tues and 5 on a Wed would appeal to them wouldnt it on those platforms??

They suit that kind of promotion. But take Amazon. If all they get are 40 games that at present are shown in 4 slots - 2 Wednesdays and 2 Thursdays - that means they only have 4 slots in an entire year to sell their package to people paying a subscription.

It looks like nobody really bit or if they did they all offered far less than the PL expected.

If they had reached the reserve price they would have been sold today.

That these are still being considered means the FA want more money and are exploring ways to get it - most likely by making as many individual slots for those 40 games as possible for whoever buys them to market to customers.

May only be BT and Sky interested. And they may not have bid much. So they seem to want to tweak these unsold packages in some way to get more money. Which has to mean offering more flexibility on when they can be played.

BT can buy both these unsold packs. Sky can only buy one. As otherwise they go over the maximum games one channel is allowed.

Though they could joint bid with - say - BBC or ITV - with Sky or BT showing their choice and the FTA channel getting the pick of the rest.

That is another way the FA could get more money from these rights that clearly did not appeal as much as they had hoped because of the screening limitations.

Yeah. Although personally I do like the idea of Friday eve matches, not that we've had a home one yet, but as long as they pay some regard to distances when choosing the games

Yes friday not too bad but saturday night is like the proper family night and I'll be getting home at nearly 11 o'clock. Still, who cares about the actual paying fans. And where does that leave Strictly!

Ah ok, it confused me at the time, thought it was old age!

They had to switch slots because BT could not show the London derby at tea time because of the England rugby game and police restrictions.

Same reason we don't play at home same day as United if both at home in the cup.

Sky and BT have agreed a wholesale deal to tie in with this new rights sale. So you can watch all games via either.

To a degree they have saved money by agreeing on what they wanted out of this auction because it matters less now they will not be in open competition for subs.

Now that they are talking to each other it was probably much easier just to swap slots than it would have been if they had been fighting each other for customers by denying retail deals to one another for their sports channels.

This way you will be able to pay one sub to Sky or BT and get all the games whoever shows them - as you can do via Virgin already.

So it is less important this time round who wins what as long as both channels have something.

They had to switch slots because BT could not show the London derby at tea time because of the England rugby game and police restrictions.

Same reason we don't play at home same day as United if both at home in the cup.

Sky and BT have agreed a wholesale deal to tie in with this new rights sale. So you can watch all games via either.

To a degree they have saved money by agreeing on what they wanted out of this auction because it matters less now they will not be in open competition for subs.

Now that they are talking to each other it was probably much easier just to swap slots than it would have been if they had been fighting each other for customers by denying retail deals to one another for their sports channels.

This way you will be able to pay one sub to Sky or BT and get all the games whoever shows them - as you can do via Virgin already.

So it is less important this time round who wins what as long as both channels have something.
Thanks, unless it's a football-only deal on offer I'll probably stick with my BT subs and get any Sky games I want to watch via NowTV as I do currently.

They suit that kind of promotion. But take Amazon. If all they get are 40 games that at present are shown in 4 slots - 2 Wednesdays and 2 Thursdays - that means they only have 4 slots in an entire year to sell their package to people paying a subscription.

It looks like nobody really bit or if they did they all offered far less than the PL expected.

If they had reached the reserve price they would have been sold today.

That these are still being considered means the FA want more money and are exploring ways to get it - most likely by making as many individual slots for those 40 games as possible for whoever buys them to market to customers.

May only be BT and Sky interested. And they may not have bid much. So they seem to want to tweak these unsold packages in some way to get more money. Which has to mean offering more flexibility on when they can be played.

BT can buy both these unsold packs. Sky can only buy one. As otherwise they go over the maximum games one channel is allowed.

Though they could joint bid with - say - BBC or ITV - with Sky or BT showing their choice and the FTA channel getting the pick of the rest.

That is another way the FA could get more money from these rights that clearly did not appeal as much as they had hoped because of the screening limitations.

Yeah, I wasnt sure on that aspect - ie I thought it was always the plan to do a split announcement and not give details for all 7 at once - I didnt realise its only because there wasnt sufficient interest at the right price.
I thought id read elsewhere earlier that these last 2 packages could only be bid for by companies who were involved in bidding for the earlier 5 - so maybe that suggests the online companies arent involved - unless they did make 'token' bids for the 5 main slots, just so they could stay involved in these other 2.
Any idea when they'll be announced - has a timescale been given?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.