Media Thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched the highlights on TV3 over here last night (don't have BT) after the Spurs game had finished (That was the live one) and Brian Kerr couldn't give us a word of praise. Sloppy passing, got away with a penalty, dodgy defence, better teams will exploit our weaknesses. Zzzzz.......
You do know Brian Kerr once managed to scrape a 1-0 against Cyprus with the strongest ROI squad in memory right?

Every aspiring manager should listen to him and take notes, on a piece of paper titled; THINGS NOT TO DO.

Trying to be a bit "adult" here, a bit sanguine even, so when the media show their true colours (red ) I tend to shrug or maybe raise one eyebrow. The red dippers built a formidable fan base under two very successful managers , and their appeal to a religious section of an island with a far-flung diaspora that had no champions of their own to follow. Stretford had the tragedy of Munich that garnered world-wide sympathisers but their biggest leg-up came when murdoch adopted them as his pet cash-cow to spread the sky brand to the untapped far east. So much money involved that keeping the pot boiling became crucial to an already cash-rich and ruthless organisation, one that has had little trouble controlling a subservient government, let alone a sport.
The point I'm labouring to make is that such a deeply entrenched (however misguided) support will not disappear overnight, it could take years. The foundations of a City dynasty are already laid, in playgrounds and parks, kids all over the world are attracted to a team that plays football of the kind that inspires and thrills them, makes them want to support and be associated with that team. So, patience is the key, for us fans, see the snide comments and underhand actions (ffp...ffs) for what they are......... desperate, lip-trembling efforts to resurrect the past, to make City go away. As has been said before "the past is yours the future is ours.

Saw that and even the interviewer was negative. It certainly was a great result last night for which very little credit was given but I must admit that our defence started the game very poorly and a better team could have punished us.
The presenter on our game at halftime said something along the lines of "were not telling anyone to switch channels, but the Spurs game is a cracker."

I wonder what he found so disappointing about our three goal lead.

Trying to be a bit "adult" here, a bit sanguine even, so when the media show their true colours (red ) I tend to shrug or maybe raise one eyebrow. The red dippers built a formidable fan base under two very successful managers , and their appeal to a religious section of an island with a far-flung diaspora that had no champions of their own to follow. Stretford had the tragedy of Munich that garnered world-wide sympathisers but their biggest leg-up came when murdoch adopted them as his pet cash-cow to spread the sky brand to the untapped far east. So much money involved that keeping the pot boiling became crucial to an already cash-rich and ruthless organisation, one that has had little trouble controlling a subservient government, let alone a sport.
The point I'm labouring to make is that such a deeply entrenched (however misguided) support will not disappear overnight, it could take years. The foundations of a City dynasty are already laid, in playgrounds and parks, kids all over the world are attracted to a team that plays football of the kind that inspires and thrills them, makes them want to support and be associated with that team. So, patience is the key, for us fans, see the snide comments and underhand actions (ffp...ffs) for what they are......... desperate, lip-trembling efforts to resurrect the past, to make City go away. As has been said before "the past is yours the future is ours.
Good post.

We could;-
Win the League - it wouldn't be by enough points due to the money we've spent
Win League Cup - only because no big clubs take it seriously
Win FA cup - big teams were focusing on Europe
Win Champion's League - because it was a very weak competition this season.
When we win a trophy four things happen:
1. Ecstacy for all blues.
2. It goes in the record book for ever.
3. No-one remembers what the media morons say.
4. Best of all, rags meltdown.
Don't fret about the press, they are small fry.

Savage was interviewed by Ian Cheesman for his blog before the game and said he was getting a fair bit of stick from City fan's out there because they think he is anti City but he was far from it.
We shut Savage up in the best way possible, by letting the football do the talking. He ridiculed the KDB signing and even said he wouldn't pay to watch him I believe, he was given absolutely no option but to change his mind on recent / current form..... To stick to his guns would have made him look even more foolish...

The presenter on our game at halftime said something along the lines of "were not telling anyone to switch channels, but the Spurs game is a cracker."

I wonder what he found so disappointing about our three goal lead.
Not wishing to belittle our performance or perhaps the goals we scored but I see his point... Spuds rode their luck and levelled against the Old Lady of Italian Football, no mean feat.. we'd be saying "it's only Basel" if roles were reversed I'd expect..

I saw one City fan on Twitter last night who said (quite genuinely I think, unless I was Clarkied) that Basel shouldnt be in the cup as they "are not even in Europe"... I asked him if somebody had floated Switzerland off the continent with helium balloons?

When I offered him a wager about whether Norway and Switzerland were on the continent of Europe he told me I needed a Geography lesson... when I then told him that (for the record) we would still be in Europe after Brexit he amazed me with "Brexit means Brexit"

He'll be questioning the Salah African player of the year award next, telling me Egypt isn't in Africa....

I wonder what the Media will consider a successful season for City come May, compared to fans?

pre-season i think they had us as title challengers and have a good go at Europe but the media will forget that - will anything but league, a domestic cup and european final (win or lose) be suddenly construed as failure "considering out formidable resources (zzz)"
Goldstein on the sports bar last night said to cundy will city just winning the prem be a failure!
A fuckin failure!
Cundy soon shot him down and put him right.
What a ridiculous comment to come out with but then again he is red mardarse and they are coming out with the most stupidest reasonings as of late.

Not wishing to belittle our performance or perhaps the goals we scored but I see his point... Spuds rode their luck and levelled against the Old Lady of Italian Football, no mean feat.. we'd be saying "it's only Basel" if roles were reversed I'd expect..

I saw one City fan on Twitter last night who said (quite genuinely I think, unless I was Clarkied) that Basel shouldnt be in the cup as they "are not even in Europe"... I asked him if somebody had floated Switzerland off the continent with helium balloons?

When I offered him a wager about whether Norway and Switzerland were on the continent of Europe he told me I needed a Geography lesson... when I then told him that (for the record) we would still be in Europe after Brexit he amazed me with "Brexit means Brexit"

He'll be questioning the Salah African player of the year award next, telling me Egypt isn't in Africa....
Would we have been playing Kompany and Otto against Juve? I think not. It wasn't the most assured performance but it didn't have to be, more like a park kick about but we kept the pressure up. As for Brexit, there are some weird people supporting both sides of the argument.

I wonder if Humphreys would make the same remark if it was the rags playing last night rather than us?

Last edited:
Goldstein on the sports bar last night said to cundy will city just winning the prem be a failure!
A fuckin failure!
Cundy soon shot him down and put him right.
What a ridiculous comment to come out with but then again he is red mardarse and they are coming out with the most stupidest reasonings as of late.
NOt as much a failure as not winning it with a proven premier league wining manager (hahaha), who always wins the league in his second season at a club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.