20 years ago today - Bury, Makin & City!

This was my first ever match ... my dad still talks about the guy tearing up his season ticket, though I don't remember it. He also told me it was later voted City's lowest ever moment in King of the Kippax - can anyone confirm?

I was sat in the new improved Platt Lane...er Umbro Stand and a couple of lads were just passing spliffs along the rows. made it all slightly easier to watch.

You are forgetting who took us down there to start with and how we struggled by the skin of our teeth to get out of the second division. Games like Macclesfield away, a single goal on 85 minutes and more like that getting us into the play offs and playing badly in that for 90 minutes.
What a load of nonsense. Took on a sinking ship and nearly kept us up. We had a very poor team with no money but he completely galvanized the players and support. Of course there were low moments but without Royle we wouldn’t have come straight back up. The season after was one of the best seasons as a City fan which we completely overachieved and as a result we weren’t good enough for the premier league. I’m not having that.

I've seen that Pollock own goal hundreds of times over the years and I just love the reaction of the City fan on the front row behind the goal. No explosion of anger or shouting of abuse. Just a simple slump forward and a resting of the chin on the hand. Pretty much summed up what we were going through.

Reactions: mat
I actually look back on these times quite fondly. No expectations (other than losing), going to the match with your mates was a laugh.

Makes you appreciate these days even more.

I actually look back on these times quite fondly. No expectations (other than losing), going to the match with your mates was a laugh.

Makes you appreciate these days even more.

It really is laughable how a high profile multi million pound organisation can be so poorly managed

Saying that, look what happened to the CO OP bank!

It really is laughable how a high profile multi million pound organisation can be so poorly managed

Saying that, look what happened to the CO OP bank!
To be fair, a lot of the Co-op’s issue stem from the market conditions leading up to their [with hindsight, problematic] restructuring in 2013...

But I suppose the same could be said of City back in 1998, just within a different market.

Either way, both suffered from some horrifically bad management decisions in reaction to those external factors that certainly intensified the adversity.

We have no such issues these days, thankfully. Long may that continue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.