20 years ago today - Bury, Makin & City!

Better than Alan Ball, Phil Neal, Steve Coppell and Frank Clarke put together.
He probably won more games than those four tossers.

It was all a bit sour when he left/was fired with the bonus thing. Still can't decide if it was him or City being an arse.

He probably won more games than those four tossers.

It was all a bit sour when he left/was fired with the bonus thing. Still can't decide if it was him or City being an arse.

I’d forgotten that. It all got a bit stupid. His final season was a bit of a disaster - we paid the price for back to back promotions and in fairness he showed loyalty to a few players who weren’t up to Premier League standard but you can understand why. We were pretty ruthless in getting shut and I guess we were still skint and didn’t want to pay a bonus to someone who got us relegated.

Today is the twentieth anniversary of one of the lows - a 1-0 defeat by Bury at Maine Road in 1998 which made us realise that a relegation to the club's lowest ever level was possible.

Remember that bury match so clearly - valentines day so my mum let my boyfriend use her ticket and sit with me, it was unseasonally hot of about 16 degrees, everyone was stripping off (oo-er) and yeah losing to bury of all teams on valentines day, i'm sure my other half was impressed ;) He's still with me, so i guess he must have been ;)

I guess there'll be a lot in the media of "20 years ago we were relegated to our lowest, and here we are 20 years on winning the *insert either quad/treble/double/league*

Hello lads, Bury fan here in peace.

I published my first book about my club - www.theforgottenfifteen.co.uk - in autumn 2015. It was about the 1985 promotion team, and it's done well. I'm now writing one about our period of success in the mid-90s under Stan Ternent. This game will obviously play a big part in this.

Does anyone on here know the lad who tore his season ticket up on the pitch during this game? I'd love to talk to him.

I went to school with John Tague (the lad who ripped-up his Season Ticket) He was a Marple lad, and was in the pub trade around the same time.
The last time I spoke to him was after the victory at Macclesfield the following September.
If you're serious, them PM me, and I'll make a few enquiries, via mutual friends.

Watching that video has just made me sit through 2 hours of videos from the 90's when I was a kid. Ranging from milwall violence, Stockport hammerings, promotions, relegations.

Amazing how far we've come. Though it's made me feel very old

Cheers for reminding me of this Gary !! was this the guy who had the season ticket posted back to him by the club or is the posting back bit an urban myth ?

Cheers for reminding me of this Gary !! was this the guy who had the season ticket posted back to him by the club or is the posting back bit an urban myth ?
I can confirm that despite a few humorous rumours to the contrary, Mr Tague was banned for the rest of the season and beyond.(although I did spot him at Newcastle a few seasons later).

I’d forgotten that. It all got a bit stupid. His final season was a bit of a disaster - we paid the price for back to back promotions and in fairness he showed loyalty to a few players who weren’t up to Premier League standard but you can understand why. We were pretty ruthless in getting shut and I guess we were still skint and didn’t want to pay a bonus to someone who got us relegated.

It wasn't a bonus it was severance pay which was more if city were still in the premier league. City were relegated over 2 weeks before the final game, and he was sacked 2 days after the final game, however the Premier League season didn't end legally until a few weeks after the last game so he claimed he was entitled to the higher amount. Bernstein saying his job was safe then sacking him right after wasn't right either though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.