Club statement regarding Barry Bennell's conviction

This is a far bigger issue than Manchester City alone, and it seems inappropriate to be talking about how the media are portraying the club. That's almost an irrelevance at the moment. Surely the most important issue by far is the victims, and ensuring that they get justice, as well as appropriate counselling, support and compensation. If it emerges that people at the club ignored warnings or even sought to cover them up, then they must be held to account, however uncomfortable it may be.

The scary thing is that this appears to only be the tip of the iceberg, according to this:

According to the latest available figures, 294 suspects had been identified since Woodward’s interview in the Guardian in November 2016 instigated what the Football Association’s chairman, Greg Clarke, has described as the worst scandal he can remember in the sport. A total of 839 alleged victims had come forward by late-December 2017, with 2,094 incidents reported and 334 different clubs named.

Bennell is the most prolific offender to have been charged, so far at least, but this is clearly a problem that goes far beyond the reach of one club. It suggests almost systematic abuse of young boys within football in the 70s and 80s, and if that's the case then questions must be asked at the very top level as to how this went uncovered for so long.

Personally I could not give two fucks about City with this. This is far more serious than our football club, as much as I love City I would rather we were closed down and get the real truth out so lads could maybe get some relief from the horrors inflicted upon them

I lived close to Bennell, my mum and his mum were friends. Toffee Balls from here lived round the corner from him (if he still posts I will leave his thoughts for him to post) We played football with his younger brother. His older brother was a **** who murdered two girls, one was with my Aunty the night he did the first girl and the coward hung himself. His mum had to move, she told my mum she had tried really hard to bring her boys up properly. She is a victim of the bastard too. Hounded out of her home, had to get a new identity and move on. Not seen the younger brother for years, maybe he has done the same. Last time I saw him was over 20 years ago and he had a pub in Worsley.

My mate was coached by Bennell and drank himself to death aged 29. He never spoke about it, but it makes sense now. The bastard had reduced a decent very talented young footballer into a shell of himself. A fair number of lads from my area where involved with Bennell. He was well known in our area. I remember as a kid my mum crossing the road and telling me to avoid him, he was not a nice man she said.

I'm angry this morning, I'm not a violent man at all, but I could quite easily disembowel the **** and have no regrets at all.

His older brother killed two girls? Surprised the media haven't highlighted this - or maybe they have and I just missed it. What scumbags.

Can't argue with this. I may have been more concerned with reputational damage on the club and impact this could have on our owner, as the club is used as a vehicle for promoting Abu Dhabi.

However my brother played for Blue Star and we both attended regular training sessions at Platt Lane in the 80s. I was also at Nova, another club with links to a now dead pervert. There but for the grace of God, somehow I wonder how we both made it through. The victims come first.

If it gives one lad a better future and helps him over the dreadful abuse I would gladly knock the Etihad down myself. I know its historic and happened under a different regime but I hope any investigation into our club is totally transparent and if anyone is found of wrong doing, hound the ****s out and never ever let them near our club again. How fucking dare these people use our club as cover for their perverted fantasies. It is beyond sickening and I hope any **** involved rots in hell

His older brother killed two girls? Surprised the media haven't highlighted this - or maybe they have and I just missed it. What scumbags.
One was off Kingsway and the other in Bramhall. I did see a news report in the MEN at one point about the Kingsway murder. It was late 60s I think. They were related but I think it was Bennells cousin rather than brother..Toffee Balls knows more about it than me. It was a long time ago and I maybe a little mixed up about it. I remember the murderer when he was released, he was back in Cheadle before he did the second girl. He sent chills down my spine. I assume he was staying at the Bennell home. If he was the cousin rather than the brother then that's maybe why the press haven't picked up on it.

Personally I could not give two fucks about City with this. This is far more serious than our football club, as much as I love City I would rather we were closed down and get the real truth out so lads could maybe get some relief from the horrors inflicted upon them

I lived close to Bennell, my mum and his mum were friends. Toffee Balls from here lived round the corner from him (if he still posts I will leave his thoughts for him to post) We played football with his younger brother. His older brother was a **** who murdered two girls, one was with my Aunty the night he did the first girl and the coward hung himself. His mum had to move, she told my mum she had tried really hard to bring her boys up properly. She is a victim of the bastard too. Hounded out of her home, had to get a new identity and move on. Not seen the younger brother for years, maybe he has done the same. Last time I saw him was over 20 years ago and he had a pub in Worsley.

My mate was coached by Bennell and drank himself to death aged 29. He never spoke about it, but it makes sense now. The bastard had reduced a decent very talented young footballer into a shell of himself. A fair number of lads from my area where involved with Bennell. He was well known in our area. I remember as a kid my mum crossing the road and telling me to avoid him, he was not a nice man she said.

I'm angry this morning, I'm not a violent man at all, but I could quite easily disembowel the **** and have no regrets at all.
Four of his victims are being intervied on TV now. He said Bennell abused him & another boy on the pitch at Maine Road behind the North Stand goals.

He said it was well known Bennell always carried coconut cream with him to take advantage of any opportunity. The victim was shaking & close to tears when speaking.

What gets me is he said they passed the groundsmen when walking through the tunnel onto the pitch. I've got a rage burning away, because few are going to believe that Bennell was so brazen with his level of abuse & no-one knew about it at City or Crewe, or at least suspected something was going on.

One was off Kingsway and the other in Bramhall. I did see a news report in the MEN at one point about the Kingsway murder. It was late 60s I think. They were related but I think it was Bennells cousin rather than brother..Toffee Balls knows more about it than me. It was a long time ago and I maybe a little mixed up about it. I remember the murderer when he was released, he was back in Cheadle before he did the second girl. He sent chills down my spine. I assume he was staying at the Bennell home. If he was the cousin rather than the brother then that's maybe why the press haven't picked up on it.

This is one of the murders, I presume:

http://www.blackkalendar.nl/content.php?key=14554

This is a far bigger issue than Manchester City alone, and it seems inappropriate to be talking about how the media are portraying the club. That's almost an irrelevance at the moment. Surely the most important issue by far is the victims, and ensuring that they get justice, as well as appropriate counselling, support and compensation. If it emerges that people at the club ignored warnings or even sought to cover them up, then they must be held to account, however uncomfortable it may be.

The scary thing is that this appears to only be the tip of the iceberg, according to this:

Bennell is the most prolific offender to have been charged, so far at least, but this is clearly a problem that goes far beyond the reach of one club. It suggests almost systematic abuse of young boys within football in the 70s and 80s, and if that's the case then questions must be asked at the very top level as to how this went uncovered for so long.
Couldn't agree more, my one issue is I also don't think it's acceptable to try to hide behind... everyone seemed to be doing it(not that I'm suggesting you are using that defence).
The club needs to try to do what it can, sadly it seems like it will be too late for some, but City should lead the way with regards to fixing this

and priests.
That particular profession has been getting away with that for centuries.

‘Spotlight’ is a cracking film about the true story of a Boston newspaper uncovering a scandal over there and eventually worldwide.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.