Today's shooting in America thread

I'm pretty sure I'll be long dead by the time the NRA lot give up their guns. Just isn't going to happen.

I'm sure there are people in the UK who would love to be allowed to carry weapons around. I'm just glad that our government doesn't let that minority walk all over them.

Its the way that they 'cherry pick' parts of the constitution. Always quoting 'the right to bear arms' as being the 2nd amendment whereas they forget the first bit which is ' A well regulated militia' .... its the first bit that should allow the government to control the type and number of weapons they have. No one for a minute thinks that you could move to a total ban as was done in Australia after the Port Arthur massacre and in the UK after Dunblane.

But something needs to be done..
Yes, agree with all this.

Yes, I know this, and I agree with all your sentiments here, the only answer though is to elect a president, and congress,
that vows to radically tackle this problem and makes it a priority in their manifesto, I would
be happy, as I'm sure you would. My feeling is, however, that this won't
happen because of the entrenched attitude of the populace.

This is almost impossible to do because of the way the NRA pumps money into elections.

Its the way that they 'cherry pick' parts of the constitution. Always quoting 'the right to bear arms' as being the 2nd amendment whereas they forget the first bit which is ' A well regulated militia' .... its the first bit that should allow the government to control the type and number of weapons they have. No one for a minute thinks that you could move to a total ban as was done in Australia after the Port Arthur massacre and in the UK after Dunblane.

But something needs to be done..
I totally agree with your sentiment on the 2nd Amendment. The way the RWNJ's and gun lovers get around that, is because of the semi-colon (I believe, it may be a comma) between the two clauses. They therefore take the amendment to mean both a well regulated militia and the right to bear arms; rather than a well regulated militia, which has the right to bear arms.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.