Club statement regarding Barry Bennell's conviction

Have you contacted the club? If this was Broome then I'm sure they'd be able to shed some insight on this; if it wasn't him then they at least will know the right people to find out who it actually was.
Not yet, but I may have to, as I need to make sure it is the right person.

A serious as this matter is I can't help but think this post is wrong in some ways. Of course if anyone at the club knew of it and there was a cover up in any way then they should be dealt with and I don't doubt they will be. From what I have read this twat was not employed as Steve Fleet had doubts about him so he went elsewhere.

Our current owners I understand have already spent in excess of £1 million pound investigating this matter from 30 years ago. With all due respect talk of knocking down the Etihad and packing up and close down is nonsense. This is one vile individual who was never employed by our club but had links to it. And to say our reputation is now sullied for eternity is in my opinion wrong too. This is one man who the club had dealings with 30 years ago. What he did was abhorrent but our club is a wonderful club and has done so much good over so many years. Barry Bennel is not our club.

Absolutely This!!! Hindsight is a wonderful thing....Every one of us who lived through the 60s and 70s will remember how utterly different things were back then. As for saying things are just as bad now, that is ignoring all the huge strides taken since then in child protection. The slightest suggestion of anything questionable nowadays, even if totally untrue, leads to immediate suspension, as many innocent teachers know to their cost.

Broome was manager of Whitehill that was regarded as a club with links to City.
Broome was not employed or paid by City in any shape or form.
He worked full time in some administration role for Manchester Education.

Being employed and receiving remuneration are two different things.
He was presumably getting expenses in whatever form, sanctioned by the club.
Someone was paying for the coaches to Blackpool etc, meals , paying for Cheadle fc. The kit was a city kit, remember back then a club could not have a junior team under 14, but that was a grey area in itself. He( Broome) was not a coach, purely an organiser, a child organiser, thereby lay the planning for the abuse.

This is unquestionably a very serious matter but some of this feels like overreaction without even knowing all the facts.
One of the key points about is history is using is to prevent atrocities happening again. It's like saying Germany should never be allowed to prosper as a country again because of past misdemeanors. Child protection as anyone who has coached a football team knows is much different now to what it was in those times of this sicko.

City as a club have as usual done the right thing in the investigation but there is no long term stigma to be attached that can be pinned to the modern day club .

Please correct me if I'm wrong but back then the Schools FA handled all players until 14? so clubs could only have what now seems these odd links to younger players, Bennell and Broome didn't work for the club because the club didn't have any official teams within these age groups.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but back then the Schools FA handled all players until 14? so clubs could only have what now seems these odd links to younger players, Bennell and Broome didn't work for the club because the club didn't have any official teams within these age groups.

No you are right, as I said in the post two back.
But the advert in the Newspaper at the time, asking for players to come to trial, clearly linked Whitehill to a top football club. Football pink to be precise.

Bennell wasn’t an employee but he
might have worked for the Club. That is one thing the investigation might clarify.

A worker is any individual who works for an employer, whether under a contract of employment, or any other contract where an individual undertakes to do personally any work or services. This includes freelancers

This has gone on wildly off topic with loads of whataboutery

1/ City need to sort this mess out quick.

2/ The lads abused need showing we are doing everything possible to get to the bottom of this

3/ Any **** associated needs reporting to the police asap

4/ Our team is on the cusp of greatness and I would give it all up, the lot, so that lads can maybe get some justice.

5/ Our reputation is now sullied for eternity, anything we do will have this shadowing over us. If we cant earn the respect back and do whats best for those abused we may as well pack up and close down. We have to live with the consequences of what that **** did and those lives he ruined. However I look at it this has to be the lowest time In our clubs history.

Seriously mate you need to form an angry mob with pitchforks and head down to the Eithad.

Horrible situation that has already been investigated by the club but clearly we will and should do more. Your posts however are complete hysteria.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.