Do you still like the music you liked in your 20’s?

I read somewhere that music you liked in your late teens and early twenties resonates in a way like no other time in your life because it evokes an emotional connection in your brain, neurological pyrotechnics.

I watched a film the other night with the Lemonheads in. Now they were not my favourite band but I liked them. After hearing them the other night I’ve been listening to them over and over on You Tube.

So is it just me or do you still really like music from that time in your life? (Late teens and early 20’s)

I certainly do, and still play this fantastic album regularly

Yes but I maybe would say I am more diverae in my likes now than then.

was of a lot of mod, scar and indie stuff but I can appreciate other genres more now than then

Last edited:
I'm with you Bimbo, hated Country music growing up and still hate most of it, especially the newer shite. However Johnny Cash and bands like The Highwaymen were excellent. Also a lot of country influenced rock bands like The Marshall Tucker Band, Creedence Clearwater, even The Stones, Keith Richards and George Harrison took a lot of Country influence

I'm with you Bimbo, hated Country music growing up and still hate most of it, especially the newer shite. However Johnny Cash and bands like The Highwaymen were excellent. Also a lot of country influenced rock bands like The Marshall Tucker Band, Creedence Clearwater, even The Stones, Keith Richards and George Harrison took a lot of Country influence

I went the other way. My teenage years were 77 - 83, so I grew up with punk, new wave, indie, ska, reggae, two tone, etc and loved the lot. My dear old dad though loved country & western - Don Williams, Merle Haggard, Tammy Wynette and so on - but I hated it with a passion. Naff beyond belief was my considered opinion. Trill for redneck budgerigars.

However, come my early 30's the alt.country/Americana explosion changed my view to a degree and artists like Calexico, Lucinda Williams, Wilco, Allison Moorer, and the Handsome Family, led me backwards to Gram Parsons, Emmylou Harris, Johnny Cash and even the Everley Brothers. None of that lot are really country & western in the sense that Don Williams, Dolly Parton and George Jones were country & western, more kind of country tinged rock, and there's still a cross over point that I can't venture beyond, but my appreciation of it all generally is certainly less dismissive than it was when I was 18.

There is a scientific study published last week that says the music that you listen to when you are 14 (male) is the music that is absorbed mot and stays with you. I was 14 in 1971 which interestingly is flagged as the year when rock music reached its creative peak. A 12 month period when this music was released:

Led Zep IV
Who's Next
Hunky Dory - David Bowie
Whats Going On - Marvin Gaye
Sticky Fingers - The Stones

Blue - Joni Mitchell
Meddle - Pink Floyd
LA Woman - the Doors
Fragile - Yes
Imagine - John Lennon
Tapestry - Carol King

Electric Warrior - T Rex
Aqualung - Jethro Tull
Masters of Reality - Black Sabbath
Nursery Crime - Genesis
Pearl - Janis Joplin
Every Picture Tells a Story - Rod Stewart
Teaser and the Firecat - Cat Stevens
Madman across the Water - Elton John
Surfs Up - The Beach Boys
Tarkus - ELP
Fireball - Deep Purple
Killer - Alice Cooper
American Pie - Don Mclean

Some output.....

Not being disparaging about 1971 particularly, and I own 7 of the albums you've listed there (as highlighted), but those sorts of polls are utterly arbitrary. I was 14 in 1978 and I could probably pull up a list of comparable quality, as could someone in 1967 or 1989 or whenever.......

You're right about how it sticks with you though. If I could remember French grammar like I can song lyrics from that period, I'd be a freakin' genius!

There is a scientific study published last week that says the music that you listen to when you are 14 (male) is the music that is absorbed mot and stays with you. I was 14 in 1971 which interestingly is flagged as the year when rock music reached its creative peak. A 12 month period when this music was released:

Led Zep IV
Who's Next
Hunky Dory - David Bowie
Whats Going On - Marvin Gaye
Sticky Fingers - The Stones
Blue - Joni Mitchell
Meddle - Pink Floyd
LA Woman - the Doors
Fragile - Yes
Imagine - John Lennon
Tapestry - Carol King
Electric Warrior - T Rex
Aqualung - Jethro Tull
Masters of Reality - Black Sabbath
Nursery Crime - Genesis
Pearl - Janis Joplin
Every Picture Tells a Story - Rod Stewart
Teaser and the Firecat - Cat Stevens
Madman across the Water - Elton John
Surfs Up - The Beach Boys
Tarkus - ELP
Fireball - Deep Purple
Killer - Alice Cooper
American Pie - Don Mclean

Some output.....

1971 was when my interest in music started to take hold. Which year was rock's greatest, I'm not sure but it would have to be in the early or mid 70's. I have over the years added 17 of the above list to my collection and there's at least 2 more that I will probably buy at some point.

I didn't like country as a kid - although my Dad had a Johnny Cast tape that I really liked. However, I'm afraid I do like some of the newer shite now. Garth Brooks, Eric Church, Big & Rich, Keith Urban, Zac Brown Band...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.