Club statement regarding Barry Bennell's conviction

Bennell was from Manchester originally but was taken on by Chelsea as an apprentice in the late sixties, IIRC. I think I've read that an injury put paid to his hopes of beoming a professional player so he got involved with coaching and had a role with the affiliated London-based Chelsea boys' club Senrab. In this period, he supposedly first came into contact with Dario Gradi, who was coaching at Chelsea, and then Chelsea's chief scout Eddie Heath (now deceased), an alleged paedophile.

Sometime in the early seventies, Bennell seems to have relocated back to Manchester and set up a northern version of Senrab, also seemingly affiliated with Chelsea. He was joined in that endeavour by Frank Roper, another paedophile and the man who abused Paul Stewart. Details here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...rry-Bennell-link-second-paedophile-coach.html

Meanwhile, here's a story from the Mirror a couple of days ago detailing some links Bennell had with United: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/depravity-barry-bennell-revealed-paedo-12031849

I don't post these links because I want to absolve City of blame by painting other clubs in a similar light. I suspect that facts will emerge which make for quite uncomfortable reading for fans of our club and, if that happens, I want our conduct in responding to those circumstances to be unimpeachable. But I believe stories like these show that the problem for football is far wider than just one or two clubs, and revelations from and following Bennell's trial should be seen in that light.

I played against senrab at the isle of white festival in 86. Big,strong and physical team I remember. Never knew that dirty bastard started it up. Is he originally from Barnes then?
No, he or family got funding in mid 70s.
he was never a coach or player. Asked me to play for him in 73, refused. My main interest is in the Broome enquiry, as that is where I experienced abuse.
Not even sure What Senrab stood for.
I am not a Bennell expert. Luckily dodged that one.
regards asa

Senrab was 'Barnes' backwards. Not named after the area of SW London, but supposedly because the coach who set up the London club Senrab was called Barnes.

Bennell was from Manchester originally but was taken on by Chelsea as an apprentice in the late sixties, IIRC. I think I've read that an injury put paid to his hopes of beoming a professional player so he got involved with coaching and had a role with the affiliated London-based Chelsea boys' club Senrab. In this period, he supposedly first came into contact with Dario Gradi, who was coaching at Chelsea, and then Chelsea's chief scout Eddie Heath (now deceased), an alleged paedophile.

Sometime in the early seventies, Bennell seems to have relocated back to Manchester and set up a northern version of Senrab, also seemingly affiliated with Chelsea. He was joined in that endeavour by Frank Roper, another paedophile and the man who abused Paul Stewart. Details here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...rry-Bennell-link-second-paedophile-coach.html

Meanwhile, here's a story from the Mirror a couple of days ago detailing some links Bennell had with United: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/depravity-barry-bennell-revealed-paedo-12031849

I don't post these links because I want to absolve City of blame by painting other clubs in a similar light. I suspect that facts will emerge which make for quite uncomfortable reading for fans of our club and, if that happens, I want our conduct in responding to those circumstances to be unimpeachable. But I believe stories like these show that the problem for football is far wider than just one or two clubs, and revelations from and following Bennell's trial should be seen in that light.

I know Lads who played for Senrab were getting trials for both United and City

Last edited:
Bennell arguably displayed more of the classic signs of being a sociopath than West, in particular, who was of below average intelligence (by all accounts Bennell was very bright) and (to many) somewhat charmless (unlike Bennell). West’s blunt MO mainly centred around ensnaring people, raping and torturing them, then killing them and burying their remains within his property. Bennell’s repertoire required a great deal more craft and charm, including towards the parents of his victims, something he clearly excelled at. He was much more manipulative than West, which enabled him to carry out his crimes in the manner he did and (crucially) retain such an enduring degree of control over his victims and his enablers. Just because someone doesn’t have muderous tendencies (or manages to suppress them for reasons of expediency) it doesn’t necessarily make them less of a sociopath. Bennell has displayed (and seemingly continues to display) an acute and pathological lack of empathy towards his victims, so I stand by my original assertion and would say that you somewhat misapprehend what constitutes (or can constitute) a sociopath.
Chapeau for such erudition at half four in the morning! You're wrong though (IMHO). West was/is ten times the sociopath Bennell is/was. And yes, I'm fully cognisant with the constitution of a sociopath. West is in the premier league, in the company of Dahmer, Brady, Sutcliffe, Nielsen et al. But we're dancing on the head of a pin here; all were appalling.

Senrab was 'Barnes' backwards. Not named after the area of SW London, but supposedly because the coach who set up the London club Senrab was called Barnes.

I thought it was named after the street (Barnes) where the club was formed in East London. Not important though. The club is certainly famous down here as it has produced several topflight footballers. Including Ledley King, John Terry, Jermaine Defoe and Bobby Zamora.

I was interested in what you referred to above, about what appears to be a network, of sorts. I find it all very creepy. It certainly has the feel of this being only the tip of the iceberg. I dread to think how many children were affected by these nihilistic monsters.

Goodness knows how they discovered that they were fellow paedophiles.

I thought it was named after the street (Barnes) where the club was formed in East London. Not important though. The club is certainly famous down here as it has produced several topflight footballers. Including Ledley King, John Terry, Jermaine Defoe and Bobby Zamora.

I was interested in what you referred to above, about what appears to be a network, of sorts. I find it all very creepy. It certainly has the feel of this being only the tip of the iceberg. I dread to think how many children were affected by these nihilistic monsters.

Goodness knows how they discovered that they were fellow paedophiles.
Barnes is a bit more than a street, isn't it? It's the area between Hammersmith and Richmond.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.