So this Pep doesn’t focus on tackling nonsense

You can't coach tackling. You can coach pressing angles, body shapes, defensive positions, recovery runs, team shape. You simply can't coach tackling.

How? Pep "Bernardo, run at Vinny". "Vinny, kick fucking lumps off him"
It was just a stick to beat Pep and city with.
That you had to be tough to compete in Britain. And the best tacklers got to play with those who could take a tackle.
Pep said at the beginning of season”it’s not as hard to win as people think”
And he’s proving it, for all those kids that get knocked back for being too small, this might just be their generation.

None of them understand even now,that's not the way we play good old british football,they would rather watch a big fat sam game of defending

Completely right. They still don't get it, they just see it's successful so they either pipe down or try to latch onto it.

Who does focus on tackling? I recall being shown some techniques as a kid, getting body shape right etc. but never have I known any coach to focus on tackling.

You can't coach tackling. You can coach pressing angles, body shapes, defensive positions, recovery runs, team shape. You simply can't coach tackling.

How? Pep "Bernardo, run at Vinny". "Vinny, kick fucking lumps off him"

I agree with this 95%, the huge majority of defending on any part of the pitch is positioning, harrying, showing players into areas of the pitch where you want them to be and team control of space, which can all be coached massively.

However i disagree you cant coach tackling at all as i believe you can coach ideas on timing, when to and when not to put a foot in and how to get strength in a tackle. But largely your correct.

There's a famous quote from Paolo Maldini, and if you argue with Paolo you need your head checking: "IF I have to make a tackle then I have already made a mistake".

A lot of people make deliberate nonsensical statements on various subjects in order to impress their target audience, so over the years, City have been on the end of many deliberate nonsensical statements (plenty by people who now say the exact opposite) because there are an alleged 650 million morons out there waiting to gobble it up.

But wheras Pep obviously doesn't coach tackling, he, or his coaches, have certainly been coaching defending & in particular the art of avoiding the neccessity of tackling, in the first place, in this system, & the results have been miraculous.

If you look in recent games at incidents where it's gone slightly wrong, & some of comically bad efforts by individuals to put it right, it shows just how good Pep has been, to keep such calamities down to a minimum.

I agree with this 95%, the huge majority of defending on any part of the pitch is positioning, harrying, showing players into areas of the pitch where you want them to be and team control of space, which can all be coached massively.

However i disagree you cant coach tackling at all as i believe you can coach ideas on timing, when to and when not to put a foot in and how to get strength in a tackle. But largely your correct.

There's a famous quote from Paolo Maldini, and if you argue with Paolo you need your head checking: "IF I have to make a tackle then I have already made a mistake".

That's spot on imo, but it does go wrong & that's where top tacklers rescue it.

The goal Vardy scored, wouldn't be a goal if you had Colin Bell & Roy K***e defending it rather than Zinchenko & Gundogan.

But we do very well on the whole, avoiding those situations, considering how we play.

That would probably be less coaching and more just pulling someone up when they make a stupid tackle. It's something you will pick up more from regular gametime and experience.

A lot of people make deliberate nonsensical statements on various subjects in order to impress their target audience, so over the years, City have been on the end of many deliberate nonsensical statements (plenty by people who now say the exact opposite) because there are an alleged 650 million morons out there waiting to gobble it up.

But wheras Pep obviously doesn't coach tackling, he, or his coaches, have certainly been coaching defending & in particular the art of avoiding the neccessity of tackling, in the first place, in this system, & the results have been miraculous.

If you look in recent games at incidents where it's gone slightly wrong, & some of comically bad efforts by individuals to put it right, it shows just how good Pep has been, to keep such calamities down to a minimum.

yeah, if it was a film you would just hear Pep shouting "right, cut! cut! cut! wrong, wrong, wrong, try it a-bloody-gain...Nico, if you arse touches the grass again then I'll kick you so far into space you'll be orbiting with that Tesla".

okay...maybe not, but you get the jist.

That would probably be less coaching and more just pulling someone up when they make a stupid tackle. It's something you will pick up more from regular gametime and experience.
That's exactly what coaching is though :).

He's right. You can coach the idea of tackling but in all my years playing the game I never worked on a tackling drill. I'm coaching now so maybe this is what I've been missing out on as results haven't been great

I don't think we should be hung up about this. IIRC he was asked the question at a press conference around the Leicester and Everton away games last year where we had conceded four goals. The journalist obviously had an agenda to try and get a 'no' answer so he could write a negative article about Pep along the lines of Pep doesn't get English football. He's a fraud and is only successful with money and big clubs.

The fact that we're still talking about it showed that it worked. Anyone with an ounce of football knowledge knew the question was ridiculous and framed to get the response the media wanted.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.