Wigan (a) pre-match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whilst I wish we could just play Ederson, i agree it's too late to drop Bravo now in the league cup final. The point about morale is interesting though. We have a team that has worked incredibly hard all season and that wants to win an unprecedented quadruple. I do wonder if there's also any damage to morale when those efforts are slightly undermined by not including one of the most integral players to how we play in a final?

I know many have said Bravo must be the best reserve keeper in the league and it's important to keep him happy, but to be honest if we're judging him on his time here, he hasn't looked anything special.

I get the argument that it's advantageous to keep a second choice keeper sharp and ready to step in in the event of injury. But if the point of all this is to maximise chances of winning as much as possible, is it really worth putting yourself at a disadvantage in games where trophies are actually at stake on that day? Do the benefits of adhering rigidly to this cup keeper system genuinely outweigh the the costs?
Footballers are first and foremost human beings with all the attendant emotions and sympathies that most of us possess. I am sure that Bravo will be as valued a team member to the rest of the players as any other and if it was felt that Bravo had been harshly treated and that he was a victim of a broken promise then there would be a wave of sympathy for him in the team that would manifest itself as upset and distraction to the job in hand which is to play and win these cup games, possibly negating any perceived advantage that might be gained on paper by playing Ederson.
I agree it is a bit of a dilemma and I can see the temptation of playing Ederson over Bravo but I would stick with principle and play Bravo. It would be better for team morale and cohesion and also better for Pep's credibility in the long run.

Hopefully I'm not jinxing the outcome - but I will revel in schadenfreude when we give Wigan their well-deserved comeuppance!

Bravo deserves to play and I think Pep will pick him but remember Pants was dropped for Hart in the 2013 final.

I think Bravo will do ok against Wigan - will be more concerned about how he will play against Arsenal but he deserves to start.
1 of the reasons why I don't respect Mancini.

Ederson is fundamental to how we play from the back calmly, and picks out superb passes. I don't see any room for sentiment in the final, if we play Bravo it gives Arsenal a boost straight away, and I think it'd be the same if he plays against Wigan tonight. They'll pump balls in and close him down. We should just pick the side most likely to win the game, and definitely in the final on Sunday. Don't risk a trophy and win over Arse, it's obvious Eddie is far better in goal and with his distribution. Why deliberately handicap ourselves!?
Eddie is tasked with Winning 2 competitions and Bravo with 2. All they need to do is their part. Folks forget, the 1 time we played the 'supposed' better player we've lost (Hart over Pants) and every time we've stick with the one who brought us here, we've won. And said 'weaker' had been instrumental!

Yet, every season, this same tired argument rears it's head again. It's like we have fans who just don't get it. :(

Footballers are first and foremost human beings with all the attendant emotions and sympathies that most of us possess. I am sure that Bravo will be as valued a team member to the rest of the players as any other and if it was felt that Bravo had been harshly treated and that he was a victim of a broken promise then there would be a wave of sympathy for him in the team that would manifest itself as upset and distraction to the job in hand which is to play and win these cup games, possibly negating any perceived advantage that might be gained on paper by playing Ederson.
I agree it is a bit of a dilemma and I can see the temptation of playing Ederson over Bravo but I would stick with principle and play Bravo. It would be better for team morale and cohesion and also better for Pep's credibility in the long run.

Have said all along that Bravo will have to play now, as that is what has been agreed from the outset this season. My own view though is that in coming seasons I'd like to find a more flexible way of dealing with the goalkeeper situation. I don't that will happen but i think it's ok to hold my opinion.

Everyone seems to think Laporte and Stones will start but I wonder if it’s the right choice.

An away match in the FA cup. Maybe it’s better to start Kompany and Stones. Kompany for his leadership and Stones needs game time and hasn’t started in a while.

Think it would be better to ease Laporte in. Let’s not forget he is young and needs to get used to the league. Maybe would be best to give him his next start against Basel at home. No need to rush him when everyone is fit.
If it's leadership you are looking for (and assuming Otamendi is being benched) you are more likely to find it with Stones than Kompany. Kompany has an added responsibility of simply trying to stay healthy, that he doesn't do much leading these days.

Stones prior to his injury was clearly the leader of the defense. Both he and Laporte have natural leadership qualities. I don't think either requires a Sheppard.

FFS we are talking about players who have played in Champions league hostile environments here and excelled. Not some under 18 newbies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.