Wigan (a) pre-match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can’t see them both starting. I actually think neither will, but I hope I’m proved wrong.
I don't think either will too. Foden and Diaz are simply not equals of Silva, Kev and Gundogan or Sterling, Sane and Bernado, the way Stones/Laporte are equals of Ota/Kompany.

I don't expect either to start. And I can almost guarantee both will not. At most 1 will start.

Personally, I'd go with 2 of Kev/Ilkay/David and rest the 3rd. Try to get a 3 goal lead, then give Foden and Diaz, 35 and 30 minutes respectively.

FWIW my here is who i think will play & reasons (not who i would play)

Bravo - Confirmed to play

Danilo, - Rest Walker
Stones, - Needs Games
Laporte, - Needs Games (I think Wembley will be VK & Nico)
Zinchenko, (See Delph)

Delph, (need to give Fern a rest at some point, Delph the only one with the legs to pay his role)
Silva, (just back from Injury, needs a game)
Gundogan (maybe Foden) - Tough one this, Gundogan has been really good filling in for Dave, but I don't seeing him starting at Wembley if KDB & Dave are fit

Sane - (Just back from injury, needs a game)
B.Silva - (maybe Foden/Diaz) - No Sterling & again Bernie has been really good recently, but does he start at Wembley if everyone is fit?
Sergio- (Maybe B.Silva) (Jesus not yet ready, be tough to throw Nmeacha in from the off)
This captures my thinking. Except, I expect Dihno to start over Delph at DM

Footballers are first and foremost human beings with all the attendant emotions and sympathies that most of us possess. I am sure that Bravo will be as valued a team member to the rest of the players as any other and if it was felt that Bravo had been harshly treated and that he was a victim of a broken promise then there would be a wave of sympathy for him in the team that would manifest itself as upset and distraction to the job in hand which is to play and win these cup games, possibly negating any perceived advantage that might be gained on paper by playing Ederson.
I agree it is a bit of a dilemma and I can see the temptation of playing Ederson over Bravo but I would stick with principle and play Bravo. It would be better for team morale and cohesion and also better for Pep's credibility in the long run.
Great post.

We all (myself included) forget at times that these aren’t incredibly advanced androids running around the field (though, if any club could afford to invest in sport robotics, it would be us) and so it sometimes escapes us that they react to situations (highs and lows) similarly to us. There is no doubt that many, by the very virtue of rising to the lofty heights they are now, are more composed and controlled than us in those reactions, but they are still influenced by the emotion of the moment (short-term) and general experience (long-term). They are supremely professional—and do need to be held to a high standard (as they demand of themselves)—however, we need to avoid holding them to impossible ones (i.e. never showing emotion of any kind).

I am glad to see Bravo get his start as I think he has earned it, both through his cup performances, but also through his grit and determination to kick on from a very difficult last season. He has never publicly complained or disparaged anyone over his ordeal and I think he has genuinely helped Ederson succeed this season with his mentorship and support in training and beyond. I think the team respects his contributions and wants to see them rewarded and, as you have said, not doing so could sow a small bit of discord amongst the players. Good people, of which I think our fine club has assembled with our playing staff, are especially sensitive to the perceived harsh or unfair treatment of others (especially people that know and care about), so I see no reason to potentially incite that sort of negative reaction.

I hope he leads us to two cup winners’ medals, and think he more than deserves one (not counting my chickens) if we win the league.

Pep should stick with the lads who got us this far in both domestic cup comps., There is no point in resting to many players for this round of the FA Cup, were only 3 games away from another cup final. So why make to many changes. Yes I know that there is a cup Final on Sunday. Let Pep worry about that game after tonight's game is out of the way. After all let's all have a go at winning the QUADRUPLE, which would be nice to win, but if that is not possible let's have a go at the DOMESTIC TREBLE at least.

I don't think either will too. Foden and Diaz are simply not equals of Silva, Kev and Gundogan or Sterling, Sane and Bernado, the way Stones/Laporte are equals of Ota/Kompany.

I don't expect either to start. And I can almost guarantee both will not. At most 1 will start.

Personally, I'd go with 2 of Kev/Ilkay/David and rest the 3rd. Try to get a 3 goal lead, then give Foden and Diaz, 35 and 30 minutes respectively.
I think Dave will play for sure to get some match minutes into his legs before the final. Pep may well give Kev a rest. It would be interesting to see Dave and Gundo playing together.

If it's leadership you are looking for (and assuming Otamendi is being benched) you are more likely to find it with Stones than Kompany. Kompany has an added responsibility of simply trying to stay healthy, that he doesn't do much leading these days.

Stones prior to his injury was clearly the leader of the defense. Both he and Laporte have natural leadership qualities. I don't think either requires a Sheppard.

FFS we are talking about players who have played in Champions league hostile environments here and excelled. Not some under 18 newbies.

Yea Stones showed great leadership by coming back from injury and making a mistake per game. His lack of form plus Laporte being new to the league (said himself he still needs to learn what’s a foul here and what’s not) and the game being away to Wigan means that partnership could do well or could also be an absolute disaster. Not to mention Laporte doesn’t speak any English and Stones knows only a little Spanish. It’s an unnecessary risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.