Wigan (a) pre-match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eddie is tasked with Winning 2 competitions and Bravo with 2. All they need to do is their part. Folks forget, the 1 time we played the 'supposed' better player we've lost (Hart over Pants) and every time we've stick with the one who brought us here, we've won. And said 'weaker' had been instrumental!

Yet, every season, this same tired argument rears it's head again. It's like we have fans who just don't get it. :(

Agree with all of that.

How many people were saying in the run-up to the League Cup final two years ago that it was going to be a disaster if Big Willy was picked.

It would ruin the dressing-room harmony if Pep were now to start picking Ederson over Claudio for the domestic cups.

Apart from anything else, Bravo has hardly been a liability so far this season.

Agree with all of that.

How many people were saying in the run-up to the League Cup final two years ago that it was going to be a disaster if Big Willy was picked.

It would ruin the dressing-room harmony if Pep were now to start picking Ederson over Claudio for the domestic cups.

Apart from anything else, Bravo has hardly been a liability so far this season.

Yep and Bravo was a part of the same set up whilst at Barcelona as well. He got the league and Ter Stegen got the Champions League

Yea Stones showed great leadership by coming back from injury and making a mistake per game. His lack of form plus Laporte being new to the league (said himself he still needs to learn what’s a foul here and what’s not) and the game being away to Wigan means that partnership could do well or could also be an absolute disaster. Not to mention Laporte doesn’t speak any English and Stones knows only a little Spanish. It’s an unnecessary risk.
Why are you conflating leadership with errors? Not to mention I said 'prior to his injuries,' he was the leader of the defense. And even now the qualities show.

Also, Laporte having to learn the nuance of English refereeing isn't going to come because some fantom experienced capt is next to him. It will come from actually playing itself. I'm not against Kompany starting, just saying your reasoning for why he should start is flawed.

He will bring no more calmness to the backline than John or Eric. He is more Rusty and the least adept ( or willing) to play the style of football our CBs are required to play.

And for what it's worth, Stones speaks enough passable Spanish to communicate with Laporte. It's not literature, you don't need long essays.

But yes, Kompany's fluency in French is a legitimate argument to make for why he might be a more suitable partner for Laporte at the moment. But you didn't argue that :)

Why are you conflating leadership with errors? Not to mention I said 'prior to his injuries,' he was the leader of the defense. And even now the qualities show.

Also, Laporte having to learn the nuance of English refereeing isn't going to come because some fantom experienced capt is next to him. It will come from actually playing itself. I'm not against Kompany starting, just saying your reasoning for why he should start is flawed.

He will bring no more calmness to the backline than John or Eric. He is more Rusty and the least adept ( or willing) to play the style of football our CBs are required to play.

And for what it's worth, Stones speaks enough passable Spanish to communicate with Laporte. It's not literature, you don't need long essays.

But yes, Kompany's fluency in French is a legitimate argument to make for why he might be a more suitable partner for Laporte at the moment. But you didn't argue that :)

Re leadership. Yes Stones is a leader but let’s say he makes another mistake and we are down 1-0, would you rather have Kompany right beside him or Laporte. Kompany of course, being the expierenced leader that he is. He would obviously help Stones be more confident as opposed to Laporte in the same situation.

My argument is to start Stones and Kompany as opposed to Stones and Laporte which everyone is suggesting, so Kompany’s fluency in French has nothing to do with the conversation ;)

Can see there being a fantastic noise from the away end tonight. Love it when we've got a full stand behind the net

Re leadership. Yes Stones is a leader but let’s say he makes another mistake and we are down 1-0, would you rather have Kompany right beside him or Laporte. Kompany of course, being the expierenced leader that he is. He would obviously help Stones be more confident as opposed to Laporte in the same situation.

My argument is to start Stones and Kompany as opposed to Stones and Laporte which everyone is suggesting, so Kompany’s fluency in French has nothing to do with the conversation ;)
Ah! So Laporte was your odd man out? Sorry, the way you attacked Stones, I just assumed he was the one you wanted out.

Okay, it makes sense why you didn't argue the language angle then. Of all the combinations though, I think Stones/Kompany is the worst on paper.

For one they both prefer and predominantly play RCB. One has been error prone (as you've claimed) and the other creatively shy ( as I have claimed).

Laporte is infinitely better than both at LCB. So to drop him to play both seems even less logical.

My sense is if Otamendi is not starting then barring injury, Laporte is guaranteed to start (as Ota is his main competition at LCB). So the only question becomes who does he start with? Komps or Stones?

Is be shocked if both Laporte and Otamendi are not in the lineup. I expect LCB will always be manned by 1 of them unless both are injured.

So a Kompany and Stones partnership is the least likely to be fielded of the 6 possibilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.