Wigan FA Cup post-match thread

We have a great first 11 and our squad has improved but a few of the stand ins just ain’t doing it. Gundoghan is anonymous - playing poorly, Bernardo is technically great but often ineffective and Danillo is hit and miss but mainly miss. We had all the ball last night but were content to roll it sideways in front of them. KDB was the only one with the guts to try to commit and get beyond them but he needed a rest and yet again he had to come on because we look utterly lost without him.

Playing Gundogan and Bernardo does not work.

Genuinely wouldn’t be bothered if we’d lost with 11, we were poor and after a weeks rest kdb should’ve been on from the start.

The incidents during and after the game are what sour the taste and the lack of trust in the authorities to make the right decisions when assessing them.

I thought delph was silly to do what he did and like a lot of the fouls on isn’t this year I couldn’t complain about the red. But like above it’s the inconsistency and the lack of equivalence between what happened to Sergio earlier in the game and previous challenges on our players.

All in all a sad night but one hopefully quickly forgotten.

Why do we keep struggling with lower league opposition, we don't seem to get it when we play them.
We were awful against Wolves, Bristol, Cardiff and predictably again Wigan.

didnt struggle against cardiff ??

We were piss poor last night regardless of the red card. Too much square passing around the edge of the box when a cross into the area would have sufficed.
The build up was far too slow allowing them to put 10 bodies in front of us at all times and we only started to show any real urgency after we conceded.
I never expected us to win the quadruple but to lose it to this shower of nonentities is a bitter pill to swallow.
This pretty much nails it. Very disappointing to go out to a team like Wigan.

Genuinely wouldn’t be bothered if we’d lost with 11, we were poor and after a weeks rest kdb should’ve been on from the start.

The incidents during and after the game are what sour the taste and the lack of trust in the authorities to make the right decisions when assessing them.

I thought delph was silly to do what he did and like a lot of the fouls on isn’t this year I couldn’t complain about the red. But like above it’s the inconsistency and the lack of equivalence between what happened to Sergio earlier in the game and previous challenges on our players.

All in all a sad night but one hopefully quickly forgotten.
Yes you are spot on Delph did not need to do what he did, just asking for trouble. The referee's response was just bizarre, but nothing will be done about it.

The overall performance was very poor and basically the two Silva's, Gundogan and Sane were just not playing to their abilities.

The defence was makeshift from the start and always looked shaky, we can not expect Aguero to keep digging us out of a hole we should have bought another forward in January.

When asked who he thought our best central defender was this season Jenas paused then said Stones, good God he can not have watched us too often as Otemendi has been the stand out defender this season. He will obviously play against Arsenal and Sterling (if fit?) and De Bruyne will definitely play. I personally would put Ederson in goal but that would be grossly unfair on Bravo so we will probably go with:

Bravo

Walker
Kompany
Otemendi
Danilo/Zinchenko

Fernandinho

Sterling
De Bruyne
Silva
Aguero
Sane

The pitch will be better than last nights monstrosity, just move the ball quicker and hit the target when the chances come.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.