Ilkay Gundogan - 2017/18 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s got excellent ability but I was expecting him to be a more complete midfielder.

I fear he might be another Nasri.

I thought he was one of our few shining lights last night - believe me, I’m no Gundogan fan boy but he’s been excellent recently and seemed one of the most threatening for us last night

He has ability, but he's not good enough any more (post injuries) to be our first choice cover for midfield. We play 3 midfielders and Gundogan is effectively our 4th choice midfielder. If he was 5th choice it would be fine, he's just not quite good enough to be this important.

I think when folks really don't want to complain about players they like, they pick on new players.

Why anyone will complain about Gundogan last night is a mystery to me.

I'd grant @City_Sean the argument he is sometimes very far up. But this is actually a positive. Too often Aguero is the only one in the box, having a player who crashes the box from midfield is quite a food thing.

And we dominated midfield as is. So it's not as if we were struggling in midfield with 80% possession. Arguments that he should stay more in midfield, strikes me as hollow and misdirected.

I was more worried by the sluggishness of David, Aguero's poor touch, and often lack of effort to get to the ball, Stones shattered confidence, Walker's ever increasing penchant for momentary brain farts. Delph's brainless decision and Sane's overall nonchalance and Danilo's clumsiness.

If you are counting, that's 7 of the 12 outfield players that were more problematic. The issue with Gundogan (at least as described here) is this "he is not playing at the superstar level that was advertised".

Like I said, sounds a lot like I don't want to whine about those who really didn't show up.

I think when folks really don't want to complain about players they like, they pick on new players.

I'd grant @City_Sean the argument he is sometimes very far up. But this is actually a positive. Too often Aguero is the only one in the box, having a player who crashes the box from midfield is quite a food thing.

And we dominated midfield as is. So it's not as if we were struggling in midfield with 80% possession. Arguments that he should stay more in midfield, strikes me as hollow and misdirected.

I was more worried by the sluggishness of David, Aguero's poor touch, and often lack of effort to get to the ball, Stones shattered confidence, Walker's ever increasing penchant for momentary brain farts. Delph's brainless decision and Sane's overall nonchalance and Danilo's clumsiness.

If you are counting, that's 7 of the 12 outfield players that were more problematic. The issue with Gundogan (at least as described here) is this "he is not playing at the superstar level that was advertised".

Like I said, sounds a lot like I don't want to whine about those who really didn't show up.

Players have bad games, it is part and parcel of football. The best players have many less bad games than good. Silva, Aguero, Stones (pre-injury), Walker, Delph and Sane have all performed this season. Aguero is on and off more than previous seasons but he has still scored for fun. Gundogan on the other hand has more bad games than good and not just bad games but games where he is completely anonymous.

We live in a time where everything is measured in goals and assists, so if he pops up with two goals, like he did against Basel, you can largely forget his lack of contribution elsewhere. His problem is that when he doesn't score, he offers very little else. Contrast that with KDB. KDB isnt the best player in the prem, solely because he makes goals, that is just one string to his bow. KDB is the hardest working player on the pitch most weeks and he treats all opposition the same, whether its Barca or Bristol, so when he doesn't assist or score, he more often than not, still has a significant influence on the game. Gundogan is the polar opposite, a fair weather player, who is only interested on his own terms.

To be fair I think his performances lately have been much improved. But last night he was too far forward and it left a massive gap in midfield.

To be fair I think his performances lately have been much improved. But last night he was too far forward and it left a massive gap in midfield.
Positional play is the alpha and omega for Pep, so you are probably having issues with him and not Gundogan with regards to the space he occupied, unless he ignored the instructions of course, but then you can be sure he gets a right bollocking. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.