Wigan FA Cup post-match thread

Massive disappointment. Worrying how dependent we are on KdB (and Sterling too) going forward, but their goal was staggeringly incompetent. I don't blame Bravo in any way at all, but I would like to ask Kyle Walker what he was doing and John Stones what he wasn't. Presumably Kyle was trying to play off side, but you can't take the risk these days in that situation because his man was not going to play the ball. Presumably John thought Kyle was going to clear the ball instead of stepping over it so he let his man go and gave Grigg a clear run. If Kyle had simply cleared the ball we would have been fine and I'll never understand why he took such a risk on this referee giving us a free kick we didn't need.

I'm left hoping Sterling, David Silva and Leroy are all match sharp for Sunday because we were well short last night.

The players who've been out, Stones, Delph, Sane and to some extent Silva haven't got back to form yet, its kind of understandable, you need to be playing regularly to get in the rhythm of this team and I think sometimes we expect them to just pick up exactly as they were before their injuries, which is probably unfair. I expect all of them to be in the groove in a few more games time

Stones won’t get the game time. He will be number 4 in the pecking order after this and his recent performances. Delph won’t be playing and pep will be pissed off with him.

Sane and Silva I agree with. They had to play last night to get ready for the big games coming up.

Only way to win these type of games is by making the ref irrelevant - score at least 3 goals.

A. Taylor though, man has a habit of getting assigned to our crucial matches where he inflicts maximum damage, not only in the actual game but also weakening the team for future important matches. Season defining game against Chelsea last time around - 1. Sideshow Bob happens, 2.Gundo not awarded penalty, 3. Aguero red card 4. Ferna red card. We went on to lose to Leicester away the following week.

Massive disappointment. Worrying how dependent we are on KdB (and Sterling too) going forward, but their goal was staggeringly incompetent. I don't blame Bravo in any way at all, but I would like to ask Kyle Walker what he was doing and John Stones what he wasn't. Presumably Kyle was trying to play off side, but you can't take the risk these days in that situation because his man was not going to play the ball. Presumably John thought Kyle was going to clear the ball instead of stepping over it so he let his man go and gave Grigg a clear run. If Kyle had simply cleared the ball we would have been fine and I'll never understand why he took such a risk on this referee giving us a free kick we didn't need.

I'm left hoping Sterling, David Silva and Leroy are all match sharp for Sunday because we were well short last night.

A simple ball like that should not be leading to a goal that’s for sure. Stones isn’t covering properly and is too high up the pitch.

We were poor. Didn’t take our chances. We weren't poor

Wigan were good and caused us problems. They were shocking and no caused us f-all problems. I could have played at centre half last night and strolled through the game

Delph’s red was a red. No it wasn't

Walker’s mistake was incredibly stupid. Not stupid but as it led to a goal it was ultimately a mistake

Grigg’s goal was really well taken. Your only valid comment

Very disappointed.

Stones won’t get the game time. He will be number 4 in the pecking order after this and his recent performances. Delph won’t be playing and pep will be pissed off with him.

Sane and Silva I agree with. They had to play last night to get ready for the big games coming up.

Have to agree, this Pep project can't afford to wait - football will always be about the here and now.

Huge fan of Stones but he is actually coming off as much softer than even the wider perception always was, certainly since his return.

Otamendi is the glue that holds it together (never thought would say that).

My fear is that some players were pulling out of 50/50s last night for fear of getting hurt - Sane, Bernardo and Gundogan, in particular.

I do wonder if players already have it in the backs of their minds about the upcoming World Cup. Jesus admitted that was his first fear when he went down at Palace, which just goes to show how important it is for so many players.

Laporte is still finding his feet but there was a moment in the second half where it shocked me how short of pace he is, when running to challenge a break down the right hand side. I was taken aback how stocky he is when he played against West Brom and hopefully Pep's training can see him lose a few pounds and that will add to his all round game.

Delph has got away with a few of those type of challenges this season, it looks great in terms of commitment when it comes off but it always leaves us wide open to a homer or a referee who wants to cover his arse.

Have to agree, this Pep project can't afford to wait - football will always be about the here and now.

Huge fan of Stones but he is actually coming off as much softer than even the wider perception always was, certainly since his return.

Otamendi is the glue that holds it together (never thought would say that).

My fear is that some players were pulling out of 50/50s last night for fear of getting hurt - Sane, Bernardo and Gundogan, in particular.

I do wonder if players already have it in the backs of their minds about the upcoming World Cup. Jesus admitted that was his first fear when he went down at Palace, which just goes to show how important it is for so many players.

Laporte is still finding his feet but there was a moment in the second half where it shocked me how short of pace he is, when running to challenge a break down the right hand side. I was taken aback how stocky he is when he played against West Brom and hopefully Pep's training can see him lose a few pounds and that will add to his all round game.

Delph has got away with a few of those type of challenges this season, it looks great in terms of commitment when it comes off but it always leaves us wide open to a homer or a referee who wants to cover his arse.

Laporte has not impressed me at all so far. Touch of the David Brightwells about him. Will give him time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.