Wigan FA Cup post-match thread

KDB was the only player who looked promising last night, to a man we was horrible. Love Walker but that must have been his worst performance in a city shirt. Don't know why every attack went through him when it was clear his final ball was shocking at every attempt. We can moan at the red card but in games where appropriate action hasn't been taken against opposing players we have been too good for it to change the game. Last night we wasn't good enough for that to happen. The less said about their goal the better, monstrosity of errors from start to finish.

Missed our chances but on the balance of it should of won the game comfortably. They got their goal late and defended very well so we just can't have any complaints. Delph's red was borderline and I think we can appeal it, the main thing is we have seen many worse tackles go unpunished but that is just how it goes, there was loads of time left and we still should of won.

Hopefully this is a wake up call because you don't win trophies or quadruples or trebles unless you win games when they matter.

I have no really issue with it being given as red (as I have been livid for similar challenges on our players getting at most a yellow in other matches).

What I do have any issue with is the high tackle through Aguero’s new early in the match which wasn’t even a card in Taylor’s mind.

That is how they get us. They allow the ones that can be written off as “too early in the match” (should never be a consideration but we will know it is), “marginal”, were just “mistimed”, or were not from “that sort of player”.

In contrast, any and all transgressions—borderline or otherwise—are harshly punished.
Yes, the challenge on Aguero early on was
far worse than Delph's. There should have been a card shown but it probably wasn't because 'it's only Wigan'.
I discussed this with my mate and I said that either the Wigan player was out of control when his foot hit Aguero (above the knee!) which should have been a red card, or if the Wigan player was in control ,then it should have been at least a yellow for a deliberate foul.
My mate thinks differently.

Laporte looks overweight to me. A staggering lack of pace as well which was discussed before we signed him.

He's absolutely mint with the football, I'm hoping the first part can be sorted with coaching and diet.

Wigan defended for their lives. The amount of blocks they got was incredible. Had one chance, which we created for them, and took it.

Reaction is key now. Nothing is won until its won and hopefully that was the reminder, jolt we needed for sunday

Laporte looks overweight to me. A staggering lack of pace as well which was discussed before we signed him.

He's absolutely mint with the football, I'm hoping the first part can be sorted with coaching and diet.

Wigan defended for their lives. The amount of blocks they got was incredible. Had one chance, which we created for them, and took it.

Reaction is key now. Nothing is won until its won and hopefully that was the reminder, jolt we needed for sunday

Thought it was just me, Laporte looks unfit?

He might be mint with a football but if he's caught square on (Vardy) or running back to his own goal, he's in big trouble due to a serious lack of pace.

It's even more pronounced at present because he is still settling in.

The return of Mendy could solve quite a few issues in terms of pace getting back in.

Seems strange to say what a miss he has been.

Please don't mention that surrender monkey ever again.

Didn't he have a famous Olympic parent or am I confusing it with Dave Whelan having something important in his background, also?
If my memory serves me correctly both his parents took part in the Olympics. His father was Robbie Brightwell & his mother was Ann Packer.

Massive disappointment. Worrying how dependent we are on KdB (and Sterling too) going forward, but their goal was staggeringly incompetent. I don't blame Bravo in any way at all, but I would like to ask Kyle Walker what he was doing and John Stones what he wasn't. Presumably Kyle was trying to play off side, but you can't take the risk these days in that situation because his man was not going to play the ball. Presumably John thought Kyle was going to clear the ball instead of stepping over it so he let his man go and gave Grigg a clear run. If Kyle had simply cleared the ball we would have been fine and I'll never understand why he took such a risk on this referee giving us a free kick we didn't need.

I'm left hoping Sterling, David Silva and Leroy are all match sharp for Sunday because we were well short last night.

Beautifully summed up. No one is infallible; between Walker and Stones they just failed to deal with the through ball and the lad tucked it away with some class.

We have spent what could match some countries national debt on our defence ,and we still look vulnerable However the problem does not need analysing we had 20 plus attempts to a measly 1 which they scored from Having 82 percent of the game If you cannot take advantage of those stats you dont deserve to win imho Aguero misses 4 chances before he gets 1 which proved costly last night He had other team mates just as guilty Gundogan, Fernandinho the two Silva`s and Laporte However what pissed me off considering we have no glut of games why leave our best player, or dare i say one of the worlds best, on the bench FFS START WITH THE BEST ESTABLISH A LEAD AND THEN BRING THEM OFF The final on Sunday has become so much imperative after last night. i really hope we dont crumble

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.