Wigan FA Cup post-match thread

I may have been wrong saying it was a red, but it could have been a red.

Like you I do think it was strong and therefore a booking. My relieve when I saw the yellow was based on knowing Taylor was the ref and thought we had given him a decision.

Something needs to be done by the club to bring matters like this in the public and make it a talking point.

In the build up to the final this week Pep should highlight fully the systematic fouling Silva endured under this ref until he had to go off injured.

This than makes it harder for Arsenal to do it as it will be picked up by commentators, fans and be in the refs mind knowing he will be criticised afterwards if he ignores it.

I never have a problem with hard but fair tackles and I think Delph went in hard with no intent unlike the twat who went in on Kun and made sure he caught him just above the knee.
Tackling is part and parcel of the game and as long as it isn't done with intent to injure a player it's fine by me.
We have had so many potentially career ending assaults on our players this season yet none were deemed worthy of a red yet Delphs is... something very fishy going on.
Taylor is a rag and has history with us...Chelsea game as an example..City need to make a case to FA and demand some clarity.

read quite a lot of the thread and because of the Delph sending off Peps reaction and Aguero's "attack" , and crowd incidents we appear to be missing the main point , if we had taken any of the dozen chances we created , 90% of the content of this thread would be meaningless and we would be playing Southampton at home in the next round , but instead i will be painting my shed that weekend.

Agree with you 100%. Even the more reason then to play Ederson who gives confidence, bails out the likes of Stones and launches attacks deep into enemy territory. I love Stones but since his injury he has reverted to last season's form. Needs to hit gym pronto. Has no sense of danger - dawdling on the ball with strikers breathing down his neck.

Re Ederson v Liverpool, that's the kind of loss I find acceptable - Ederson's risk taking. Unfortunately he found Salah. Not long before that he had destroyed Spuds with a similar approach. It won't come off every game. But Bravo is consistently poor, poor and predictable.

The whole defence created its own problems v Liverpool exactly as it did last night.

Ederson is better than Bravo, but if Ederson had played in the earlier rounds of the cup it's unlikely we would be in the final as our attack in those games couldn't hit a barn door & the goalkeeper won us two penalty shootouts, which is pretty unusual.

Bravo, warts & all, deserves to be in the final. When we play, we will get a bunch of chances for our attackers to win it, as we did last night.

If we don't score them & Bravo makes a mistake, he is actually entitled to as so far, he's done his job, in that competition, better than the others.

It's time for them to step up & win it.

read quite a lot of the thread and because of the Delph sending off Peps reaction and Aguero's "attack" , and crowd incidents we appear to be missing the main point , if we had taken any of the dozen chances we created , 90% of the content of this thread would be meaningless and we would be playing Southampton at home in the next round , but instead i will be painting my shed that weekend.

Oh Definitely. Gundogan, Aguero, Laporte and Fernandinho all had absolutely golden chances you'd expect to be scored 99/100 times.

The problem as I see it is that we were unable to control the game as well as normal when desperately searching for a goal. There were echoes of last season about it, where Wigan were having far too much joy on the counter, Grigg was being allowed to hold it up, and we weren't winning the ball back and returning it to their third quickly enough.

I think if Stones was playing for any other team we would be laughing out tits off at how bad he is. He had good form but since his return from injury he’s not showing any signs of getting back to that form. I don’t think he has the concentration to ever become a top defender.

Bernado is being played out of position. Its as simple as that.

He isn't getting to the byline nearly enough and doesn't beat a man.

My view is I'm pissed off for him, not with him because he is clearly a central player ala Spanish Dave

Have you ever watched Bernardo Silva play prior to this season?

Oh Definitely. Gundogan, Aguero, Laporte and Fernandinho all had absolutely golden chances you'd expect to be scored 99/100 times.

The problem as I see it is that we were unable to control the game as well as normal when desperately searching for a goal. There were echoes of last season about it, where Wigan were having far too much joy on the counter, Grigg was being allowed to hold it up, and we weren't winning the ball back and returning it to their third quickly enough.

We completely dominated possession and controlled the game, especially so 2nd half with 10 men so im not sure why you think the above.

They literally had the one chance second half and scored from it and it was from a mistake and nothing to do with a lack of control or them being good on the counter attack.

Wigan did defend superbly last night so credit to them for that but as an attacking force or their football being deserving of the win?

Sorry but no.

I think if Stones was playing for any other team we would be laughing out tits off at how bad he is. He had good form but since his return from injury he’s not showing any signs of getting back to that form. I don’t think he has the concentration to ever become a top defender.

Yeah he is no Virgil van Dyke is he?

He has proved he can be a top player but has also proved he currently isn't.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.