Would the league on its own be regarded as a failure?

No the league has always come first in my book. Its about being the best team over a whole season. The next would be the champions league would be next because you do have the mini league format and then the 2 legged rounds. The cups are a bit of a lottery but that is the very nature of the beast. Winning any of the cups is by no means a failure it just doesn't rank as highly as the league or champions league.

No. It is near enough impossible to win 4 trophies in a season (especially the two domestic cups) and it takes huge amount of good fortune for that to happen.

Last edited:
Next season will be much harder in the league as titlte holder. Rivals will keep strengthen their squads, teams will be more used the way we play, some of our players already playing the season of their career which is hard to repeat...
The flip side of that is th fact that teams know better about how we play this year than last me it hadn’t mattered a jot.

We will also strengthen in summer and have bedded in back four. We will also have a genuine left back and have a group of young players who will no doubt continue to improve.

Not a failure but underwhelming. If we don't win on sunday it'll be a massive shame as 2 trophies (assuming we don't win CL) would be a great season.
Gutted to be out of the FA cup as we haven't won in since 10/11 which feels like a lifetime ago.
At least now it saves a fixture congestion and we can focus everything on the CL

I look at it another way

If we won the lot will it be harder to motivate the team the following season.

Start of the year League was priority and to win with football played the proper way and with such a margin is unbelievable achievement.

If we win the league and nothing else - is it a failure? - absolutely not.

In our first season under Pep's full control we've made exactly the right moves in the transfer windows to address our biggest weaknesses (full backs, goalie, CB) and have added an extremely talented midfielder (B. Silva).

Danilo wasn't first choice - but he's doing OK - about what we'd expect.
====
As good as we are now, I think we'll continue to improve under Pep.
====
I think we'll win the league (haha, bold prediction!) and the league cup - we're good enough to win the C/L - but so are several other sides (C/L is a crap shoot).

Meanwhile, we're playing exciting football and are by far the best side in the P/L; we've got the best manager in world football and our management is working closely with Pep to give him what he wants. What could be better?

Anything other than the league is a bonus.

Cup competitions are susceptible to the luck element deciding things and the vagaries of football. We saw that last night when we lost a game that we completely dominated.

The number of games in the league means that the best team should be able to win it; although they don't always.

If we win the league this season, we should enjoy that to the full.

Impossible when the cards are stacked so high against us.
To make the point again - why did the FA appoint Taylor, a referee from Altrincham who is rumoured to support the rags and who screwed us over vs Chelsea last season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.